Monday 19 February 2018

Kanturk B upset the odds at Banteer

THIS win put Kanturk's third division side into the third round and last 16 of the County Cup at the expense of League 2 side CFC Banteer.

CFC Banteer 1 Kanturk B 3

For the home side this was a disappointing result due in part to a poor second half performance. Niall Kearney completed a blistering start for Banteer when he blasted the ball home from outside the box after only two minutes. The side continued to dominate for the rest of the first half, but failed to add to their goal tally despite a number of good chances. Kanturk slowly emerged from their poor start and finally registered a shot on goal with five minutes to play in the first half, They were a completely different side on the restart.

Two goals from James Barry and one from Kevin Smith secured the win for Kanturk. They equalised and took the lead within the hour, and got the winner with fifteen minutes to play. Paudie O'Callaghan went closest to scoring a second for Banteer but his well-hit shot was saved by Stuart Allen in goals for the visitors.

Kanturk's third goal wrapped up the result and neither side came close to scoring in the run-up to fulltime. They will not know their opponents in the third round for another two weeks as a number of other first and second round fixtures need to be played.

Park United B 2 Castlelack 1

WHILE Park dominated most of this game, they needed extra-time to overcome Castlelack's resilience. The win was worth the wait for the Mitchelstown side as it puts them into the last 16 of the County Cup.

Park bossed the opening twenty minutes but they went behind against the run of play with a header on a cross in the 25th minute. The home side reacted well to this setback and they were back level ten minutes later. Left winger Ricky Ronane's cross was cleared out of the box only for Colin Stack to crack the ball to the back of the net from long range. That equaliser was his 18th goal of the season.

Castlelack defended in numbers and to good effect throughout the second half and prevented Park getting a winner. Paddy O'Callaghan and Colin Stack led the homeside attack and combined to make a number of shots on goal, but no winner. That came on Park's first attack in the first period of extra time when Mark Bane crossed and left winger Simon Maher volleyed home skilfully.

The same pattern of play resumed for the remainder of the game: Park attacked, Casltelack defended, but no side scored. The result was Park's fourth consecutive win but, while the side would love to extend the run this weekend, they have a free weekend instead.

Killowen 1 Glanworth 3

THIS second-round County Cup win was one of the most impressive results from the past week as Glanworth ended a mixed run with an excellent performance. Brian Cashman made the most telling contribution with two goals to help Glanworth into the last sixteen of the competition.

Killowen are five points off the top of League Two and went into the game as favourites against visitors from the lower half of League 3A. Instead, Glanworth went ahead and led two-nil on 25 minutes. Winger Brian Cashman scored both goals, and both from the edge of the box. Killowen scored five minutes before half-time and they dominated on the restart. While the homeside created some halfchances, Glanworth keeper Denis Gallagher and his defence stood firm.

With ten minutes to play, Alex Sheehan made it 3-1 on a good cross from Liam Cotter and Killowen could find no way back into the contest after that. Glanworth will find out their opponents over the next two weeks as other first and second round County Cup games have to be played. They competed in the semi-final of this competition two years ago and they know that a cup semifinal is a major boost to any season.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links