Friday 23 March 2018

Junior soccer team in Munster Cup final on Saturday

SOCCER NEWS Fermoy soccer teams are still making progress in their various competitions, the senior side, who are only two wins from a promotion place from the first division to the Premier Division at the moment, are through to the third round of the Pop Keller Cup as a result of a 2-0 win over Carrigaline last weekend.

Meanwhile, the junior side who are joint leaders in their Munster First Division league with only two games left to play, won the first round of the John Hayes Cup on Sunday last when they easily defeated the Carrigaline B team on a 50 scoreline.

Best of luck to the junior team in their Munster Cup final at Turner's Cross in Cork on Saturday evening.


Results of the Toss Bryan Electrical Competition played recently, the overall winner was young Colin Scott who tied with his father Neville but won on the back nine score, Neville took the first nett prize while Mick Cahill won the Gross and Breda Kennedy the Club's Lady Captain came home first in the Ladies section.

The past week end was sponsored by Riordan's Super Value Fermoy and this also attracted a large number of players despite the much colder weather conditions.

The overall winner was Noel Scott 41 net Mick Cahill again won the Gross prize on 49, with Jason Roche claiming the first net prize with 45net, Geraldine O'keeney won the ladies prize with 52 nett.


Competition on the local GAA scene was confined to the Avondhu Under-21 'A' football championship, the local side were involved at Castletownroche on Saturday evening last where they had their expected easy win over Kilshannig.

The final score reflects the difference between the sides but it must be said that while Fermoy made hard work in creating this victory, it was their first game of the year and they looked that way for most of the game, the half time score read Fermoy 0-5 Kilshannig 0-1.

With the aid of the breeze in the second half, Fermoy improved and pulled away to win comfortably by 1-16 to 0-4, Seanie Shanahan's goal mid way through the half virtually sealed the victory, Gary O'callaghan and Kieran Morrison were other multi scorers in this victory.

However, victory did not come without a price and this came in the way of injury to wing forward Michael Pyne who injured his knee during the first half.

He must be doubtful for the final of this c/ship which takes place this Saturday evening in Ballyhooley where our lads meet Glanworth in their third meeting in as many years in a final. The score between them at the moment is one victory each, Fermoy in 2010 and Glanworth last year 2011, who will it be in 2012?

Wishing Michael Pyne a speedy recovery from his unfortunate injury and wishing Fermoy the best of luck in the final.