Monday 20 November 2017

Junior Cup win for Turks

THERE was a full range of league and cup games last weekend with Fermoy, Macroom and Newmarket all running up important wins. Meanwhile Park United's A side and Kanturk progressed to the third round of the FAI Junior Cup.

Park travelled to Bishopstown to take on Kilcreen Celtic and their seven-goal thriller was decided only three minutes from full-time. Park's winger Gary O'Connor scored two goals; his second came only minutes into the second half. Kilcreen then produced their best football and were level at 2-2 shortly past the hour mark. Park midfielder, and second half substitute, Paul Masterson then played a good through ball for Darren Lynch to run onto and score.

The visitors kept their lead until ten minutes from time when Kilcreen again equalised to make it three-all. Eamon O'Sullivan settled the issue in the 87th minute when he beat the off-side trap, rounded the keeper and scored to make it 4-3 to Park.

The exciting win also made up for the disappointment of Park's loss to St Michael's of Tipperary in the League Champions Trophy earlier in the week.

Kanturk also recorded a memorable win in the same competition as they beat Cobh Rambler's Munster Senior League in a second round clash away from home. Jamie Hawe and Ian Winters got the all-important goals as Kanturk won 2-1. Munster Senior League Premier Division FERMOY travelled to UCC and enjoyed a memorable win in the Mardyke. Gavin Quirke gave the visitors a wonderful start as the 20 year-old striker scored after only two minutes. He doubled the Fermoy lead on 15 minutes when he knocked in the rebound from a Seanie McCarthy shot that the UCC keeper could only parry. Fermoy continued to dominate for the rest of the first half and remained two ahead at the break.

UCC had the greater share of possession on the restart and their pressure paid off with a goal twenty minutes into the second half. Fermoy responded by defending in numbers and in depth, and they held out to win 2-1 and to take their first three points in the league campaign.

The win was part of a memorable weekend for Fermoy as seven of the club's teams played and each team won. Premier League MACROOM did well to hold out for a win at home against Blarney Street. The win put Macroom joint top of the division with full points from two games. League 2 DONOUGHMORE made it an impressive four wins from six starts to go into fourth place in League 2. They travelled to take on Blackpool Celtic and they merited full points after a slow start. They roared back into the game after Blackpool hit the game's opening score – a hat-trick from Barry O'Regan was central to this fine performance. Division 1A BUTTEVANT won at home to Richmond to make it four points from three starts.

The visitors had the better chances in the opening hour but failed to make them count. In contrast, Denis O'Connell, Buttevant's left back, made the most of his goal opportunity midway through the second half when he scored the match winner. Buttevant then finished out comfortably.

Millstreet shared the points away to Grangevale in an even contest that could have gone either way. Division 3B NEWMARKET moved to the top of the table with the biggest win of the weekend: a 6-0 result at home to Bweeng. Timmy O'Keeffe headed their first after 11 minutes and Shane Murphy made it 2-0 with a free kick in the first quarter. Timmy O'Keeffe also volleyed home Newmarket's third goal and, shortly before half-time, Shane Murphy increased the lead to four.

Ten minutes into the second half striker Timmy O'Keeffe completed his hat-trick when he played a good one-two with Bart Daly and finished well. Trevor Murphy got the sixth and final goal with 20 minutes to play when he headed home.

While Newmarket dominated throughout, their keeper Niall O'Connor played with his part with a good save on Bweeng's best chance and some solid keeping on their set-pieces.

Buttevant nearly sprung a surprise in their game away to second placed Rylane Celtic last Saturday. Wesley Cahill put Buttevant ahead and his side held the lead until four minutes from time when Rylane equalised.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links