Monday 19 March 2018

Fermoy lose ground against Premier leaders

COLLEGE Corinthians opened a three point lead at the top of the Munster Senior League Premier Division with this win against Fermoy.


DIVISION Fermoy 2 College Corinthians 4

The North Cork side remain midtable, seventh of ten sides. While Fermoy created good chances throughout a free-flowing, quality game, early goals in either half decided the contest for the visitors.

College Corinthians got off to a wonderful start with a goal on a header from a cross after only two minutes. This jolted Fermoy into action and they made regular chances throughout the first half.

Kurt Wheeler crossed for centre half Leon Roche to header off the crossbar on twenty minutes, and, shortly after, the provider created another goal opportunity on a good link-up with Alan Beragry. With neither side dominating, Kurt Wheeler began a good move on the right ten minutes before the break, which led to a Graham Burns shot that went narrowly wide.

Fermoy's tempo dropped a little on the restart and College Corinthians dealt a killer blow with their second goal twenty minutes into the second half. Five minutes later, they slipped the Fermoy offside trap and made it three-nil. They then cruised to the final ten minutes when a strong Fermoy finish unsettled the visitors. Adrian Clancy finished a quick move to score one for Fermoy on 84 minutes.

Then, only two minutues later, Gavin Quirke scored a second to make the scoreline 3-2 to the visitors. College Corinthians steadied and played out the final few minutes, thus preventing any more Fermoy shots on goal. The visitors scored their last goal from the penalty spot with the last shot of the afternoon.

Fermoy continue their league campaign with a visit to Rockmount on Friday evening.

LEAGUE 3B Newmarket 2 Kanturk B 0 GOING into this important League 3B clash, Newmarket topped the table with Kanturk in third place. This win was vital for the homeside and it set them up nicley for their clash with second-placed Rylane this weekend.

Kanturk were well organised and determined from the start and they dominated the opening twenty minutes. Stephen Guiney was first to threaten the Newmarket goals and James Barry shot narrowly wide as the home side rode their luck.

These two early goal opportunities served as a wake-up call for Newmarket as they gradually settled into their task. The first hal was a battle for possession that neither side dominated. Then, seven minutes before the break, Newmarket were awarded a penalty for a foul on Nicky Flanagan. However, unfortunately for penaltytaker Brian Riordan, the opportunity went wide and the sides were tied at oneall at half time.

The home side had a wonderful start to the second half when John Ryan got their opener after only three minutes. Newmarket centre-half TJ Murphy crossed and a save from the Kanturk keeper fell for John Ryan to knock in from close range. The goal encouraged Newmarket and they piled on the pressure over the next quarter of an hour. Trevor Murphy had a header cleared off the line, John Ryan shot narrowly over and Brian Riordan forced an excellent save at the end of a good solo run.

Still looking for a second goal, Brian Riordan made another good, mazey run on 72 minutes and he unleashed an unstoppable shot from outside the box. That made it two-nil to the home side with about 20 minutes to play. It was a huge blow to Kanturk. The sides then resumed their battle and contested to the final whistle with no clearcut chances created.

The outcome is that Kanturk remain in third place and Newmarket have an extra three points. It is also now true to say that Newmarket's game with second-placed Rylane this weekend may go a long way towards deciding the outcome of the League 3B title. Results League 1 Cathedral Celtic 4 Watergrasshill 1 League 1A Rathcoole Rovers 0 Greenmount Rangers 4