Thursday 14 December 2017

Dublin defeat for Park United

FAI JUNIOR CUP Terenure FC 4 Park United 2 THIS defeat put Park United's first team out of the FAI Junior Cup.

While the Dublin-based side had some quality performances and some good finishing, lenient refereeing also facilitated their progress. This made the result a bitter one for the Mitchelstown club who miss out on progress to the sixth round as one of the last 32 teams.

In a lively opening, Park's Darren Lynch forced a brilliant save from the home keeper after Ger O'Lynch cleverly made the opportunity. Park took the lead at the end of an even first half when Eamon O'Sullivan scored from a penalty. The penalty was due to a foul by the keeper on Eamon O'Sullivan himself, after the Park forward had rounded the keeper and was about to score into an empty net. The keeper received a yellow card instead of the straight red card that is normally shown.

While Terenure equalised with a deflected shot, the opening of the second half was dominated by the referee's decision to only book a home player for a dangerous challenge in the middle of the field. Once the subsequent arguments subsided, the game became a battle to gain, hold and use possession with neither side dominating. Park broke the deadlock with twenty minutes to play when a shot from Dave Dineen was blatantly handled in the square. Darren Lynch scored the subsequent penalty.

Despite Park's best efforts, Tenenure equalised on a corner kick with five minutes to play.

This put the game into extra-time, which began badly for Park as Shane Cahill was sent off for a second yellow card after four minutes. Tenenure scored their third a minute later with a quick, well-worked attack that was finished sharply.

By then the game had become physical and the referee struggled to keep up. He sent off a home player for a second yellow early in the second period of extra time. In many ways the referee had the last say in the outcome too, as he awarded a late penalty to Terenure following a collision between Park's keeper and an opposing striker. The home side scored the penalty and the game finished 4-2.

All told, this was a difficult defeat for Park to take.

However, they have little time to dwell on the outcome as they face important league and cup games over the next two weeks.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links