Tuesday 20 March 2018

Crucial win puts Park Utd back on track for title

Park United 5 Pearse Celtic 2

This vital win puts Park back on top of the Premier League, joint top with Kilumney on 45 points.

Park now have a title decider against Coachford this Saturday afternoon. If they win, they put one hand on the Premier League trophy for the second consecutive season. The final destination of the Premier League title will only be decided for definite with the result in the last game of the season between Coachford and Kilumney next Tuesday evening.

With their pitch in splendid condition and in front of a good home crowd, Park led Pearse 2-0 at the break thanks to goals from Gary O'Connor and Alan McCormack. Early in the second half, Darren Lynch extended the lead. Pearse have been one of the top four sides in the league all season and they showed their quality and keenness by getting two back on the bounce. Park continued to play good attacking football and a second goal from Darren Lynch steadied their nerves with ten minutes to play. Eamon O'Sullivan then made it 5-2 to wrap up the points for Park.

The home side deserve credit for the performance and also for bouncing back from the disappointment of losing away to Kilumney last Saturday. There was little between the sides in Kileady and the home side scored the winner on a long throw into the box on thirty minutes. Overall, Kilumney deserved their win as they put in a better performance.

Kilumney and Park are now joint top of the table. Kilumney have the AOH Cup final in Turner's Cross on tomorrow Friday evening. Park have their title decider against Coachford on Saturday. The final Premier League game of the season will be between Coachford and Kilumney next Tuesday. Each game is immense for each side.

Premier League

Macroom A 2

Kilumney 4

Macroom A's final game was a 4-2 loss to title chasers Kilumney, a loss that confirmed Macroom's relegation from the Premier League. Overall, Macroom were only two points from safety. Better news for the club was that their Under 12 and Under 16 sides both won their league titles. Club chairman Denis Murray was delighted with the double success. He said, "the future is safe with groups of players like this. Not only do they really enjoy the game, which is the most important element, but they are competitors, and nights like this make it all worthwhile".

Division 1A

Millstreet Celtic 5

Grangevale 1

This win keeps Millstreet in Division 1A again next season. A vital equaliser at the end of the first half from Paul Dawson seemed to turn the tide for Millstreet. They never looked back and put in an impressive second 45 minutes of football.

Despite going into the game as a relegated side and no win all season, Grangevale surprisingly made the better start and went ahead after only 20 minutes. Millstreet battled well but found it difficult to make chances. This changed a minute before the break when Shane Dineen won possession and got a move going with a pass to Donagh Murphy. He then played a ball to the feet of Paul Dawson who controlled it well and fired home from the near post.

Tadhg Collins built on this equaliser by putting Millstreet ahead five minutes into the second half. Shane Dineen was again involved, this time with a good pass through for Tadhg Collins who held off his marker and finished well. The leaders then dictated the play and finally overcame some dogged defending to get a third goal with 75 minutes on the clock. Tadhg Collins got that third goal and he completed his hattrick by running onto a long clearance from his keeper Colin Feeley and finishing well. By then Millstreet led 4-1.

Five minutes from time keeper Colin Feeley again played a long ball and found Michael Murphy who rounded the Grangevale keeper and tapped in from close range. For Millstreet this goal rounded off the day in some style. They have one last league game to play but their all-important first division survival has been secured.

League 2A

Blackpool Celtic 0

Macroom B 5

Macroom B finished their League 2A campaign in style with this thorough win away to Blackpool. Jason O'Donovan and Padraig Harrington both scored twice with Shane Keane netting once. Pat Kelleher also put in a solid performance in goals with important saves at one-nil and two-nil.

he performance reminded the division that Macroom have been one of the on-form teams in the second half of the season and they finished comfortably midtable.