Sunday 25 February 2018

Coachford's five-star win over Blarney Street

Fermoy's Dave Clancy makes a sliding clearance before Glen Celtic's Paul Kenneally can close him down. Photo: Eric Barry
Fermoy's Dave Clancy makes a sliding clearance before Glen Celtic's Paul Kenneally can close him down. Photo: Eric Barry

PREMIER LEAGUE: Blarney Street Athletic 1 Coachford 5

THIS win put Coachford on top the Premier League table as the sides go into the Christmas break. The win was Coachford's fourth in four starts, a perfect return that makes them the early season pace setters. The team has also got the wonderful tally of 23 goals scored and only two against.

Pa Finnegan created and finished Coachford's opener when he dispossessed a defender and scored after 15 minutes. Ivan Skillington doubled the lead 10 minutes later when he finished off a rebound from the home side keeper.

Despite this poor start, and the setback of having a player sent off, Blarney got back into the game just minutes before halftime when they scored a penalty kick that the Coachford keeper could only get a hand to.

Two quick Coachford goals on the restart settled the outcome. John Corcoran chipped the keeper on the hour to make it 3-1 and left back Keith Linzell finished off a good move to score ten minutes later.

Will Corcoran finished the goal rush with Coachford's fifth just a few minutes before full time. The right winger scored on a rebound off the keeper from his own initial shot.


Kanturk 2 Grattan 0

KANTURK have been busy with cup runs this season and, consequently, this was only their second Premier A league game of the season.

The three points gleaned from midtable Grattan were due to good defending and good finishing on two occasions.

Striker Karl Holland shot well from thirty yards to put Kanturk ahead after 20 minutes. The home side dominated the remainder of the first half but they had to wait until just past the hour to go up two-nil.

Jamie Hawe made the opportunity with a good pass through from midfield and Martin Riordan collected the pass, rounded the keeper and slotted his shot into the empty net.

While Grattan had some possession, and they moved the ball well, they did not get a threatening shot on goal as Kanturk's centre-half pair of Johnny Lynch and Leonard Barry marshalled their defence well.

In short, Kanturk took full points with an efficient performance.

They resume cup action this weekend with an AOH Cup clash away Innishvilla.

The sides have already played a league game this season which Innishvilla won.


Park United B 4 Central Rovers 0

THIS comprehensive win was Park's third consecutive League 2A win, all by the same high scoreline. These consecutive wins have turned the season around for Park and put the side third in the table at halfway point in the season.

Park led two-nil at halftime with both goals headed home by Eddie Nolan. Simon Bane made the first with a run through the visitors' defence and he crossed for a well-finished diving header. Right back Dinny O'Dea provided the second goal opportunity with a cross from play that Eddie Nolan again headed in.

Early in the second half, Simon Bane scored Park's third on a cross from his brother Mark, and Colin Stack finished the rout with Park's fourth goal twenty minutes from full-time. The result left the visitors midtable with 11 points from nine games.

Meanwhile Park's A side had no luck away to Knockavilla and they lost 4-1 in a Premier League contest.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links