Tuesday 20 March 2018

Clyda Rovers miss out on semi-final place in Ted Creedon Cup

Tom Creedon Cup

St Michael's 1-10

Clyda Rovers 0-7

Clyda Rovers were forced to give way to a better equipped St Michael's side in the Tom Creedon Cup quarter-final at Mourneabbey on Wednesday evening.

The early stages saw the City side start in a very positive manner and helped by three well taken scores by the hardworking Paul Cronin they moved into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead by the 12th minute. As the half progressed Clyda Rovers gradually found their feet and a point each by Conor Flanagan and Cian O'Sullivan restored parity at 0-3 each by the 20th minute.

Just when the North Cork side seemed right back in contention it was the winners that struck a purple patch. In the 25th minute a delivery by Diarmuid Crowley was tipped over by Mark Ryan for a point before the Blackrock outfit stretched their advantage further when a pin point pass by Donal Cremin was gathered by Eric Hegarty whose effort at goal was saved on the line with the inrushing Aengus O'Driscoll first to react to kick the only goal to the net.

Clyda Rovers were dealt a blow soon after when they had a player dismissed for a second bookable offence while at the end of normal time a pointed free by Eric Hegarty helped St Michael's hold a 1-5 to 0-3 interval lead.

On the changeover despite Eric Hegarty having an early point for the winners it was the home side that certainly enjoyed their best spell of the game with Conor Flanagan and John O'Hanlon doing well around the middle of the field.

The Rovers forced the St Michael's backline to concede a number of frees during the third quarter that were punished by Conor Flanagan (2) and Cian O'Sullivan to leave just four points between the teams 1-7 to 0-6.

Try and they might the Mourneabbey side were unable to narrow the gap any further with the St., Michael's challenge once again coming to the fore from here with Paul Cronin, Shane O'Keeffe, Shane O'Sullivan, Eric Hegarty, Aengus O'Driscoll and Brian O'Sullivan impressing in the closing stages as they went on to outscore their opponents by three points to one that secured their place in the semi final against Cill na Martra.

ST MICHAEL'S: A Deasy, K O'Shaughnessy, B O'Sullivan, D Crowley, C Kilcoyne, A O'Driscoll 1-0, J Linehan, S O'Keeffe, P Doyle, P Cronin 0-4 (0-2f), S O'Sullivan, R Creagh, E Hegarty 0-4 (0-2f), M Ryan 0-1, D Cremin 0-1. Subs: I Giltinane for C Kilcoyne, A Murphy for K O'Shaughnessy, C Harnett for A Deasy, K O'Keeffe for R Creagh,

CLYDA ROVERS: C Conway, R Willis, C Kenny, Donal O'Callaghan, S O'Connell, Conor O'Sullivan, O O'Hanlon, C Flanagan 0-4 (0-3f), J O'Hanlon, G Carey, P O'Mullane, Cian O'Sullivan 0-3 (0-1f), C Ronayne, Daniel O'Callaghan, D Roche. Subs: S Ronayne for Daniel O'Callaghan, W Cronin for C Flanagan (inj), C O'Donoghue for C Conway,

Referee: Walter Cole (Buttevant)