Friday 24 November 2017

Champions Glanworth stay on track to retain their Under-21 title

Glanworth 0-12 Blackthorns 1-6 REIGNING champions Glanworth kept their hopes of retaining their title intact when they qualified to meet Mallow in the semi-final of the North Cork Under 21 AFC after they held out for a close win over great rivals Blackthorns at Kildorrery on Saturday. The opening half saw the winners well on top but they missed many goal scoring chances.

On the changeover Blackthorns battled hard and helped by a goal by Ken Carroll were right back in contention. However, try as they might they were unable to force level.

Blackthorns opened the scoring with an early point by Vincent O'donoghue. Glanworth responded in determined manner with Johnny Magnier, Sean O'keeffe, Thomas Condon clearing their lines well with David Pyne, Francis J O'flynn, Ross Murphy, Sean Finn and Diarmuid Colfer up front all showing their experience and by the sixth minute they led 0-2 to 0-1.

The MitchelstownAraglin side side were denied a certain goal moments later when a long sideline kick by Robert Frewen found James Sheehan whose effort was excellently saved by Glanworth keeper Brian Roche with the rebound going out for a 45 that was converted by Michael Walsh.

The winners took control from here to the break working the short passing to great effect and a series of well taken points by Francis John O'flynn, David Pyne and Diarmuid Colfer saw them move five clear. Just before the interval Blackthorns with a pointed free by Michael Walsh narrowed the deficit 0-7 to 03 at the short whistle.

'Town regrouped well on the changeover with Fionn Herlihy, Michael Walsh, Vincent O'donoghue, Brian Murphy and James Sheehan to the fore and two points on the trot brought the lead down to three after 34 minutes play. Glanworth were denied a goal two minutes later when Diarmuid Colfer soloed through but was narrowly wide. Over the next sequences of play the winners tagged on minors by David Pyne (frees) to go 0-9 to 0-5 ahead after 42nd minutes.

However Blackthorns now doing well were given a lifeline when a long ball into the full forward line saw Brian Murphy fouled with Ken Carroll cooly dispatching to the net from the spot kick to make it a one point game entering the final period.

Glanworth responded immediately with three rapid points by Sean Finn, David Pyne and Francis John O'flynn to go four clear. The Mitchelstown-araglin side tried very hard to get back on level terms but only managed a point by James Sheehan. Glanworth held out for a close victory

GLANWORTH: B Roche, N Fogarty, T Condon, E Gallagher, J Magnier, S O'keeffe, P Blackburn, D Pyne 0-6 (0-5f), R Murphy, F J O'flynn 0-3, S Finn 0-1, D Colfer 0-2, H O'neill, M Jackson, I Murphy. Subs: S Coughlan for N Fogarty (injured) S O'riordan for M Jackson, B Flynn for E Gallagher.

BLACKTHORNS: L Molan, B Coffey, J Allen, B O'sullivan, P Hennessy, F Herlihy, D Farrelly, M Walsh 0-2 (0-1f, 0-1'45), V O'donoghue 0-1, S Barrett, K Carroll (1-0 pen), R Frewen, J Sheehan 0-3, B Murphy, L Allen. Subs: S Frewen for B Coffey, S Lane for R Frewen, J Fox for P Hennessy, S Price for L Allen.

REFEREE: Michael Sheehan (Liscarroll)

Promoted Links

Promoted Links