Wednesday 17 January 2018

Buttevant make it seven up in League 1A win over Grangevale


LEAGUE 1A Buttevant 7 Grangevale 1 THIS win put Buttevant joint-third in League 1A, tied on ten points with Millstreet. Goal scoring had been a problem for the home side but with five different players finding the net last weekend, Buttevant will hope to retain this sparkling form over the coming weeks.

The home side got off to a blistering start with three goals in the opening fifteen minutes. They added another two on either side of half-time to lead 7-0 with little over an hour played. There was little consolation for Grangevale who managed to get one back late in the game but they remain bottom of the table with one point from eight games.

Derek Winters and James Curtin played up front for Buttevant and they scored two goals apiece with centre-half Teddy O'Shea, Kevin Lawless and Mark Sweeny all scoring one goal each. The side have further league action this weekend with a Friday night fixture at home to second placed Rathcoole Rovers.

LEAGUE 2 Donoughmore Athletic 3 Macroom B 1

This League 2 win was an important result for Donoughmore as it ended a run of three consecutive losses and put them in fourth place. The result also keeps the league very competitive as only six points separate the top eight sides.

Barry O'Regan put the home side on their way with a goal after only two minutes when he finished off a good move involving Aidan O'Shea and Shane Healy. Both of these players were active in the best Donoughmore attacks throughout the first half though the score remained one-nil at halftime.

Ten minutes into the second half, substitute Jonathon Henessey put Aidan O'Shea through on goal and he took the opportunity with a neat shot to the top corner. Macroom hit back within five minutes, however, with a back post header on a free kick in the 65th minute. Both sides then battled hard for possession, making the next goal decisive. That goal came ten minutes later when John Hennessey raced onto Seán Kelleher's deflected freekick, and he headed over the Macroom keeper.

Donoughmore have more League 2 action when they take on De Courcey Albion on Sunday morning.

LEAGUE 3B Glanworth United 3 Bweeng 5

This was Bweeng's second consecutive league win and the result brought their tally to 11 points from ten games. They scored five goals in each win which emphatically ends their preNovember goal drought.

An unfortunate own-goal gave the visitors an early lead but Glanworth equalised with half an hour played when Liam Brennan slipped through the Bweeng defence, rounded the keeper and scored neatly. Alan Molloy and Keith O'Connell then combined to put Justin McCarthy through for Bweeng's second goal and they took the lead to the half-time break.

Glanworth levelled again shortly after the restart. Ger Hurley made and scored this second goal when he ran into the square and clipped his shot past the keeper from a tight angle. However, Glanworth had hardly settled when Keith McCarthy slid in to score Bweeng's third within minutes.

The sides then battled it out. Bweeng were reduced to ten men on the hour and the home side took advantage of this to equalise for the third time when Liam Brenann again clinically finished a rapid solo run.

The end-to-end action continued and Keith McCarthy made it 4-3 to the visitors with ten minutes to play. Both sides looked for the decider in the run-up to fulltime, and Keith O'Connell secured the three points with a wonderful solo goal late in the game.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links