| 12.4°C Dublin

Strong Erins Own finish denies Mallow


On the run . . . Mallow’s Cian O’Riordan — who hit 0-9 for his side — races goalwards chased by two Erins Own players during the county under-21 football championship semi-final clash at Rathcormac on Saturday evening.

On the run . . . Mallow’s Cian O’Riordan — who hit 0-9 for his side — races goalwards chased by two Erins Own players during the county under-21 football championship semi-final clash at Rathcormac on Saturday evening.

On the run . . . Mallow’s Cian O’Riordan — who hit 0-9 for his side — races goalwards chased by two Erins Own players during the county under-21 football championship semi-final clash at Rathcormac on Saturday evening.

ERINS OWN . . . . . . . 2-9 MALLOW . . . . . . . . 1-10 Mallow did very well in the opening half with Cian ORiordan in brilliant form at centre forward taking some marvellous points. ORiordan gave Mallow the lead after two minutes. Shane Murphy then levelled the sides in the fourth minute.

Fergus Murphy gave Erins Own the lead soon after but Mallow edged ahead within minutes when a long ball by O’Riordan was not held by ’keeper Ray O’Connor and Sam Cronin was on hand to finish to the net.

Both sides then exchanged points and at the end of the first quarter Mallow led by 1-2 to 0-3.

A free by Erins Own’s Kieran Murphy to Fergus Murphy was then passed out to Shane Murphy who found Diarmuid O’Flynn and he was on hand to goal and put the East Cork side ahead, 1-3 to 1-2.

This is Cork Newsletter

Cork's essential reads in local news and sport, straight to your inbox every week

This field is required

Mallow’s Cian O’Riordan was then wide under pressure but he forced the sides level with a point in the 17th minute, 1-3 each.

Erins Own were doing well at midfield and had a point by Pat Fitzgerald while Mallow’s Hurl Dockery and Sam Cronin did well to set up Eoin Carroll for a point and level the scores again at 1-4 each.

O’Riordan then hit two pointed frees for Mallow before Dockery placed O’Riordan for a fine point in injury time that gave the Mallow side an interval lead of 1-7 to 1-4.

On the changeover Erins Own placed Cian O’Connor at centre back and this proved to be a master move. They reduced the lead with a point by Eoin Murphy after great work by his older brother Kieran and Fergus Murphy— Mallow replied with a pointed free by O’Riordan.

Both sides missed some good chances before Erins Own had a great point by Mark O’Connor in the 47th minute. Mallow ’keeper Brian Daly then saved well from Kieran Murphy before a quick free in the 51st minute by Shane Murphy set up a goal for Barry Poland that opened up a lead of 2-7 to1-8 for Erins Own.

O’Riordan cut the lead to a point with another free in the 53rd minute but then a four-man effort by Eriins Own led to Joe Lyons pointing with just five minutes remaining.

In the dying moments Cian O’Riordan kicked another fine point for Mallow to come within the minimum but in injury time Shane Murphy ensured victory for Erins Own with another point.

They will now face O’Donovan Rossa in the county semi-final — St Nick’s await the winners in the final.

Scorers — Erins Own: Barry Poland 1-0, Diarmuid O’Flynn 1-0, Shane Murphy 0-3 (0-1 free) Pat Fitzgerald 0-2, Mark O’Connor 0-1, Joe Lyons 0-1, Eoin Murphy 0-1 Mark O’Connor 0-1,

Mallow: Cian O’Riordan 0-9 (0-5 frees) Sam Cronin 1-0, Eoin Carroll 0-1

Teams — Erins Own: Raymond O’Connor; Jonathan Coughlan, Cian O’Connor, Alan Lane; Pat Walsh, Mark O’Connor, Joe Lyons; Kieran Murphy, Pat Fitzgerald; Diarmuid O’Flynn, Shane Murphy, Paul Fenton; Seán Kelly, Fergus Murphy, Barry Poland,

Mallow: Brian Daly; Stephen Coughlan, Rory Sheehan, Andrew Cashman; John Cronin, Kevin O’Halloran, John Collins; Brendan Gleeson, Hurl Dockery; Frank O’Neill, Cian O’Riordan, Joe Hayes; Eoin Carroll, Jack Golden, Sam Cronin. Sub: Michael Murphy for John Collins (injured).

Referee: AJ Cronin (Mayfield).

BALLYCOSKERRY ROVERS . . . . . . . . . 2-16


A WELL-balanced Ballycoskerry Rovers side proved too good for Ballinhassig in the county Premier MHC quarter-final at Coachford on Friday evening last.

Michael Aherne gave Ballinhassig the opening score with a pointed free in the second minute. Maurice O’Sullivan replied from a free two minutes later. The South East side, Ballinhassig, took the lead again when Michael Aherne whipped on a good ground shot to the net after good work by Paul O’Sullivan.

Gradually Ballycoskerry side gained control — Barry Coleman was to put in a great display at centre back and the midfielders of Edward Rea and Eoin O’Sullivan won a lot of possession but around the same time they struck a number of wides.

Ballinhassig then had a pointed long range free from Brendan Coleman before the Carrigdhoun side moved Michael Aherne to centre forward with Dan O’Callaghan going to the edge of the square.

Ballycoskerry’s Maurice O’Sullivan pointed a free and Gavin Morrissey then placed Neil Buckley for a fine point in the 12th minute to leave Rovers ahead, 1-2 to 0-3.

Eoin O’Sullivan pointed at the end of the first quarter and the Rovers took the lead when Neil Buckley goaled in the 18th minute. The North Cork side led for the rest of the game. Maurice O’Sullivan pointed and Neil Buckley, Maurice O’Sullivan both worked well for John O’Riordan to goal in the 22nd minute, 2-5 to 1-2.

Ballinhassig then had a pointed free by Michael Aherne before Ballycoskerry’s Edward Rea placed Maurice O’Sullivan for a good point from a tight angle in the 28th minute. Aherne then pointed a free in injury time to cut Rovers’ half-time lead to 2-7 to 1-4.

On the resumption Ballinhassig tried hard to get back in contention but they were denied by a very strong Rovers backline. Aherne then hit three points in a row — one from play, another from a free and a ‘65’.

Ballycoskerry’s Maurice O’Sullivan pointed in the 37th and 42nd minutes and in between them his team-mate Barry Coleman pointed a ‘65’ to restore Rovers’ healthy lead, 2-8 to 1-7.

Rovers then hit six unanswered points and were well ahead in the 54th minute, 2-14 to 1-7.

Ballinhassig though battled back well they forced Dan O’Donoghue to save well on two occasions and they had a point from a Aherne followed by a goal from a free by the same player, 2-14 to 2-8.

Barry Coleman then pointed his second ‘65’ before he placed Neil Buckley for the last score of the game in injury time. Ballycoskerry Rovers will now meet Valley Rovers in the county semi-final.

Scorers — Ballycoskerry Rovers: Maurice O’Sullivan 0-7 (0-2 frees) Neil Buckley 1-4, John O’Riorfdan 1-0, Barry Coleman 0-2 65s. John W. O’Brien 0-1.

Ballinhassig: Michael Aherne 2-7 (1-4 frees) Brendan Coleman 0-1.

Teams — Ballycoskerry Rovers: Dan O’Donoghue; Martin O’Keeffe, Michael Morrissey, Hugh O’Leary, David O’Riordan, Barry Coleman, Trevor O’Sullivan, Edward Rea, Eoin O’Sullivan, Stephen O’Sullivan, John W. O’Brien, Neil Buckley, Maurice O’Sullivan, John O’Riordan, Gavin Morrissey.

Ballinhassig: Michael McCarthy; Shane Harrington, Michael Coomey, Matt Collins, Diarmuid McSweeney, Brendan Coleman, Martin Twohig, David Brennan, Paul O’Sullivan, Seán Hurley, Dan O’Callaghan, Mark Coleman, Cian O’Sullivan, Michael Aherne, Peter O’Sullivan. Subs: Stephen Keogh for Seán Hurley, Cormac McCann for Cian O’Sullivan, Barry Roche for Peter O’Sullivan.

Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan (Eire Óg).