Monday 15 October 2018

Well balanced 'Shandrum through to County U-21 HC semi-final

County Premier Under-21 HC quarter-final: 'Shandrum 1-19 St. Finbarr's 0-10

'Shandrum proved far too good for St Finbarr's in the County Premier U-21 HC quarter final at Banteer on Saturday. The Avondhu side took control from the start with their attack in great form.

Tim O'Mahony was the winner's top scorer with 1-11 which included two massive pointed sideline cuts. Barr's lacked scoring power with Billa O'Connell getting six of their 10 points all from frees. Jack O'Brien opened the scoring with a first minute point for the Barr's. David Jones levelled from a free.

In the fifth and seventh minutes O'Mahony pointed two sideline cuts that opened up a lead 0-4 to 0-1.

The winner's goal came in the ninth minute when Darragh Hawe worked well and found John Geary who soloed through from the wing and placed Tim O'Mahony who belted to the net. Diarmuid Buckley followed with a point. Brian Buckley soloed through from the backline and was fouled. The resultant free by David Jones opened up a lead 1-6 to 0-1.

Further pressure by the Avondhu side saw O'Mahony point a free and the same player pointed from play after good work by Jack Twomey and John Geary as 'Shandrum went 10 points clear 1-8 to 0-1. Barr's had three pointed frees by Billa O'Connell with Tim O'Mahony also pointing a free as 'Shandrum led 1-9 to 0-4 after 27 minutes.

In the closing moments Billa O'Connell landed another free with Tim O'Mahony replying in injury time that saw the winners 1-10 to 0-5 clear at the interval.

On the changeover Barr's tried very hard to get back into contention aided by the breeze. Tim O'Mahony pointed early for 'Shandrum. Good play by Colm Barrett led to a fine point by Stephen Sherlock. O'Mahony followed with another free.

The City side found it hard to make any progress against a solid 'Shandrum defence. Billa O'Connell pointed two frees. Good play by Tim O'Mahony led to a brilliant point by Diarmuid Buckley.

John Geary followed with a great point as 'Shandrum went 10 points clear again 1-15 to 0-8. John Geary came close to a goal but was denied by Corey Buckley. Stephen Sherlock followed with a point.

From the 51st to the 55th minutes 'Shandrum had three points in succession by Tim O'Mahony (2) and Diarmuid Buckley as they moved 1-18 to 0-9 clear. Barr's battled to the end. They had a 60th minute point by Colm Barrett while 'Shandrum's midfielder Sean Griffin completed the scoring with a great point from near the sideline.

Shandrum are now through to the County semi-final where they will face Killeagh-Ita's.

'SHANDRUM: E Moloney, K Foley, D Guiney, K O'Sullivan, L Morrissey, B Buckley, D Hawe, S Griffin 0-1, J Twomey, K O'Leary, D Buckley 0-3, D Jones 0-2f, J Geary 0-1, T O'Mahony 1-11 (0-6f, 0-2 s/ls), A O'Leary 0-1. Subs: S Coughlan for A O'Leary, C O'Flynn for K O'Leary, C Sheehan for D Jones.

ST. FINBARR'S: S Hurley, O McCarthy, O Murphy, J Ryan, C Walsh, C Cahalane, C McCarthy, C Barrett 0-1 S McCarthy, I O'Callaghan, S Hannigan, C Buckley, B O'Connell 0-6f, S Sherlock 0-2, J O'Brien 0-1. Sub: J O'Kelly for I O'Callaghan.

Referee: Brian Murphy (Carrigtwohill).