Monday 24 September 2018

Unique double for Kilshannig in Pairc Uí Rinn

County Under 21 B HC Final: Kilshannig 2-18 Sarsfields 2-11

Kilshannig’s Conor Murphy gets his pass away before Sarsfields’ Roy Egan can get a block in during last weekend’s County U21B Hurling Championship Final
Kilshannig’s Conor Murphy gets his pass away before Sarsfields’ Roy Egan can get a block in during last weekend’s County U21B Hurling Championship Final

Pat Ryan, Kildorrery

Kilshannig made it an unique double at Pairc Ui Rinn on Saturday night when they added the County Under 21 B HC title to the Under 21 B FC title won earlier this year.

Cian Darcy got the scoring underway with a point for Sarsfields after just 35 seconds. Kevin O'Flynn levelled from a free soon after. Sarsfields looked promising for a while but they were off target a number of times.

Kevin O'Flynn had the next score in the 14th minute and followed with another pointed free two minutes later. Daniel Allen pointed for the Imokilly side. Kilshannig picked up their game.

Rapid points by Kevin O'Flynn (2) and Dermot Twomey made it 0-6 to 0-2. Jack Twomey was outstanding at centre back for the winners. Kilshannig inside backs Denis Taylor Josephy Cronin and Bill Curtin made some great clearances.

In the 24th minute Sarsfields had a point when Sean Higgins worked well for Cian Darcy who sent over. Kilshannig hit a purple patch - good play by Colm O'Shea led to a fine Kieran Twomey point. Dermot Twomey followed with a good delivery to Kevin O'Flynn who made it 0-8 to 0-3.

In the 29th minute the Avondhu side had their first goal. It came when a delivery by Jack Lyons found Colm O'Shea who placed Jerome Murphy who netted 1-8 to 0-3. Eoin O'Sullivan followed with a fine point.

In injury time Conor Murphy worked well with Jack Kearney who found Diarmuid O'Sullivan, the latter had a powerful shot at goal, but Sarsfields keeper Ben Graham saved well. At the break Kilshannig led 1-9 to 0-3.

Sarsfields introduced two substitutions on the resumption. Kevin O'Flynn pointed a free. Sarsfields Cian Darcy goaled and also pointed as the lead was down to six points 1-10 to 1-4.

Jack Kearney had a long range Kilshannig point with Diarmuid O'Sullivan working very well for Dermot Twomey who goaled putting the Avondhu side 10 points clear 2-11 to 1-4.

Sarsfields hit back for a point. Kevin O'Flynn and Darragh O'Mahony swopped a point before the East Cork side had a goal in the 40th minute by Jordan Galvin after a good solo run to come within six points 2-12 to 2-6.

Just when Sarsfields looked like cutting the lead further it was Colm O'Shea who landed a great point. Good work by Jack Kearney led to a Diarmuid O'Sullivan point. Kevin O'Flynn followed with a long range pointed free as Kilshannig were now nine points clear 2-15 to 2-6.

Sarsfields battled to the end. They got a point back by Tadgh O'Brien. Cian Darcy added another. By the 53rd minute they had the lead down to five points 2-15 to 2- 10.

Kilshannig defence held firm and Kevin O'Flynn and Jack Kearney had late points for Kilshannig as Cian Darcy and Kevin O'Flynn (free) swapped a point each in injury time.

After the game Ger Lane Co Board Chairman presented the cup to the winning captain Dermot Twomey.

KILSHANNIG: J Lyons, D Taylor, J Cronin, B Curtin, E O'Hanlon, J Twomey, J Kearney 0-2, C Murphy, C O'Shea 0-1, K Twomey 0-1, E O'Sullivan 0-1, K O'Flynn 0-11 (0-8f) Diarmuid O'Sullivan 0-1, D Twomey 1-1, (Capt) J Murphy 1-0 Subs: C McMahon for J Murphy, Darragh O'Sullivan for Diarmuid O'Sullivan, T Brennan for K Twomey, C Sexton for E O'Sullivan

SARSFIELDS: B Graham, C Byrne, K Walsh 0-1 J Galvin 1-0 T O'Brien 0-1, A Walsh (Capt) S Crowe, D O'Mahony 0-1f. S Morgan, C Darcy 1-6, R Egan, S Higgins, D Allen 0-1, T O'Leary, R Hogan Subs: C Crowley 0-1 for S Higgins, C Kelleher for R Egan, R Butler for T O'Leary

Referee: Pat Lyons (Bishopstown)