Tuesday 20 March 2018

Two championship wins for Junior Cs

THE Macroom Junior Cs recorded two good football championship victories in the last two weeks when they defeated Ballincollig in round one and Kilmichael in the quarter-final.

Macroom now look forward to a semi-final against Dripsey or Inniscarra.

Last Sunday morning, in a damp and blustery Inchigeela, they took on Kilmichael in the quarter-final of the Mid Cork Junior C Championship. Playing into the strong wind, Macroom settled into the game quite quickly but found the wind difficult to come to terms with.

Scores were hard to come by and poor decision-making did not help their cause either.

Eventually Macroom found their range and points from Jack Purcell, Shane Dunne, Darragh Deasy and Stephen Crowley put them 0-4 to 0-1 up after the first quarter.

However, Macroom did not have everything their own way with goalkeeper Declan Kiely having to bring off an outstanding save and some superb defending prevented Kilmichael from being closer.

Macroom began to dominate the second quarter and added four points to Kilmichael's one to leave the score at half time 0-8 to 0-2.

Macroom got the second half off to a bright start with points from Dunne and Stephen Murphy (both went on to play pivotal roles in the second half).

Although Macroom dominated for the most part in the second half Kilmichael did keep in touch with a few points.

It was 0-12 to 0-5 at the three quarter stage but Macroom had to endure some anxious moments as some uncharacteristic mistakes gave Kilmichael a couple of half chances on goal.

Some heroic defending and some brilliant goalkeeping kept Kilmichael at bay.

Macroom weathered the storm and were inspired when Olan O' Mahony went on an 80 yard run (as the whole field opened up for him) only to see his shot saved by the Kilmichael goalkeeper.

Shortly afterwards Stephen Crowley finished off a very good move to the net to leave the score 1-12 to 0-6.

Kilmichael's response was immediate as straight from the kick-out they came back with a goal of their own.

Both teams swapped points before the end to leave the final score: Macroom 1-13 to Kilmichael 1-07.