Friday 19 October 2018

Students picking up momentum with Clyda victory

County SFC: UCC 1-15 Clyda Rovers 0-14

Aubert Twomey, Pairc Uí Rinn

Last Sunday's fourth round senior football championship game played at Páirc Ui Rinn on Sunday evening last proved to be a lively entertaining affair with very little to choose between the contestants UCC and Clyda Rovers.

The north Cork side made a determined effort to secure victory against fancied opponents and they were deservedly ahead at the break. UCC performed with a greater since of urgency when the action resumed, however, and they went ahead for the first time in the 42nd minute.

Clyda fought back to regain the lead in the 46th minute however and the game finished on a very exciting note: the students were more economical with their scoring opportunities during that vital period so they will consequently be in the draw for the quarter-finals.

Following the throw in on Sunday last Clyda Rovers confidently took the game to their opponents and minors from Paul Cronin and Conor O'Sullivan were a huge boost. The students replied promptly and Killian Spillane from a free and Conor Geaney from play were on target.

Clyda regained the lead when Conor Flanagan and Paul Cronin were both on target from frees, but UCC again got on level terms when their most effective forward Killian Spillane raised two white flags.

Clyda Rovers again took up the running, however, as they clearly had the advantage vis-a-vis combined training as the students had little contact with each other during the holiday period.

The north Cork side scored three points without reply to enhance their prospects of victory, but UCC had they ability to capitalise on the scoring opportunities that came their way.

They were consequently still in contention at the interval when Clyda led 0-9 to 0-7 and one felt that their play would improve following the change of ends as the first 30 minute of action would make them more familiar with each other's play.

That position was clear to manifest itself following the restart when points from Killian Spillane and Conor Geaney tied the scores. Clyda also suffered a set- back for the second period as midfielder Kenneth Fitzgerald had to retire due to a shoulder injury and their full-forward Daniel O'Callaghan who was proving to be a handful for the opposing defence had to be moved out to centre field as a consequence the north Cork side suddenly found themselves on the back foot and they were trailing 0-12 to 0-10 by the 42nd minute.

They fought back well however and managed to regain the lead. Good work by Conor O'Sullivan created a goal scoring opportunity for Sean Ronayne who confidently placed the football out of the goalkeeper's reach.

The latter subsequently followed with a minor so Clyda Rovers prospects of victory were still very much alive. It was 1-11 to 0-12 in their favour at the 46th minute. Disappointingly for them, however, they were not to score again and they will bemoan the fact that they were wide of the posts on four occasions before the end.

UCC on the other hand capitalised on the scoring opportunities that came their way. Laurence Bastible moves upfield to kick the football between the uprights and substitute Brian Begley was on target four minutes later so the sides were level.

UCC were now at their best and their leading performer Killian Spillane centered perfectly for fellow Kerry man Conor Geaney to punch to the net. Liam O'Sullivan tacked on the insurance point to secure final place and they are certainly a team with potential.

UCC: Eoghan O Brien (Churchill), Fionnaín Clifford (Waterville), Jack McGuire ( Listowel Emmets), Dylan Fenton (ST Vincents), Laurence Bastible (0-1) ( John Mitchels) Jason Foley (Ballydonoghue), Oran Clifford (Waterville), Kevin Shanahan (Ardfert), Ronan O'Toole ( Eire Óg), Adrian Spillane (0-1) (Templenoe), Ronan Buckley (Listry), Eibhin Courtney (Eire Óg Ennis), Liam O'Sullivan (0-2) (St Michael's), Killian Spillane (0-6, 4f) (Templenoe), Conor Geaney (1-4) (Dingle) Subs: Eoin Sheehan (Na Piarsaigh) for Ronan O Toole (11th) (Injured), C Bambury for Kevin Shanahan (39th), B Begley (0-1) (An Ghaeltacht) for Foley 48th (Injured)

Clyda Rovers: Gearóid O Shea, Chris Kenny, Ray Carey, Sean Ronayne (1-2), James Buckley, Paudie Kissane, Oliver O'Hanlon, Kenneth Fitzgerald, Conor Flanagan (0-3, 2f), Sean O'Connell (0-1), Paul Cronin (0-1f), Conor O'Sullivan (0-2), Sean Ronayne, Daniel O'Callaghan (0-1), Roy Willis Subs: Chris Buckley for Kenneth Fitzgerald 31st Injured, C O'Sullivan for Willis 49th, J Fitzgerald for O'Hanlon 60th

Referee: C. Dineen (Douglas).