Tuesday 16 January 2018

Newmarket produce five-star show against Kanturk

Newmarket 5-19 Kanturk 0-15

Newmarket's Barry O'Connor's shoots at the Kanturk posts during the Kanturk Co-Op Mart Duhallow JAHC in Kilbrin.
Newmarket's Barry O'Connor's shoots at the Kanturk posts during the Kanturk Co-Op Mart Duhallow JAHC in Kilbrin.

Newmarket packed too much scoring power for Kanturk in the concluding tie to the opening round in the Kanturk Co-Op Mart Duhallow Junior A Hurling Championship played in Kilbrin on Saturday evening.

Victory was fashioned with an emphatic surge either side of the interval that left Kanturk trudging wearily. Fairness to a second string Kanturk, they had competed admirably during the opening 20 minutes, providing Newmarket with a searching test of their mettle.

However a surge either side of the interval that yielded a trio of goals within 10 minutes reflected Newmarket's all round superiority, hurling with a substantial enterprise that Kanturk couldn't cope. Newmarket had galloped into an early lead, Jack Guiney's long delivery fetched by full forward Niall Rohan to blast to the net.

Kanturk were soon into their stride, availing on the solid work-rate of Kevin Smith, Michael Hartnett, Cathal Burke and Donough Duane. And Kanturk demonstrated attacking wares with points to Burke and Cian Clernon to force parity. Twice more the sides remained deadlocked, a pair of Burke points answered on Newmarket scores by Donal Hannon and Barry O'Connor.

Coming up to the break, the game took a defining turn to Newmarket, Hannon the provider for Conor O'Keeffe to net. And Newmarket received a further booster, a fine solo from Hannon saw Kanturk 'keeper Barry Kenneally save only for Hannon to follow up and goal the rebound to allow Newmarket hold a 3-5 to 0-6 interval advantage.

Indeed Newmarket kept the momentum going on the restart, O'Connor split open the opposing defence to blast home. Kanturk attempted to reduce the deficit, relying on Duane points to add to the tally. In the face of a brave Kanturk onslaught, Newmarket's game remained totally composed, a solid defence spearheaded by Jamie Hayes, Alan and John Ryan led by example with Jack Guiney and O'Keeffe working tirelessly out the field.

The winners ability to grab goals illustrated the difference between the teams, underlining too the contrasting efficiency levels. At the other end, Kanturk lacked outlets and a conviction to land major strikes.

Back to back points from O'Connor extended Newmarket's handle before Kanturk attempted to mount a comeback on points to Burke and William Murphy. Newmarket never lost their sense of direction and finished at a gallop on substitute Colin O'Sullivan applying the finishing touches to raise a 5th green flag to confirm the victors had seen their task to a successful conclusion.

NEWMARKET: S McAulliffe; D Fitzpatrick, J Hayes, P Allen; A Ryan 0-1, J Ryan, R Stack; K O'Sullivan 0-1, J Guiney 0-1; D O'Keeffe 0-1, M Kenneally 0-2, B O'Connor 1-3; C O'Keeffe 2-3, N Rohan 1-0, D Hannon 0-6 (4f). Subs: T O'Keeffe 0-1 for C O'Keeffe, J Lane for D O'Keeffe, J Scanlon for Fitzpatrick, C O'Sullivan 1-0 for Rohan, B Stack for R Stack.

KANTURK: B Kenneally; J Fullerton, B O'Keeffe, E Geaney; D O'Connor, K Smith, M Hartnett; D O'Sullivan, S O'Brien; D O'Donoughue, C Burke 0-8f, C Mullane; W Murphy 0-1, D Duane 0-3, C Clernon 0-1. Subs: S Walsh for Fullerton. B Mullane 0-2 for O'Brien, D McCarthy for O'Sullivan.

Referee: E Walsh (Freemount)


Promoted Links

Promoted Links