Wednesday 24 January 2018

Mitchelstown see off Millstreet

County IFC Round 3: Mitchelstown 1-13 Millstreet 0-11

Pat Ryan, Churchtown

Mitchelstown advanced to Round 4 County IFC following their win over Millstreet at Churchtown on Saturday evening.

The game was played on very good surface on a very bad evening that saw heavy rain and a curling wind all through. Millstreet did well in the opening minutes. Cathal Crowley opened with a pointed free.

They had a point in the fourth minute by impressive Shane Hickey. Mitchelstown had their first score in the sixth minute when Shane Cahill put Dave Dineen through.

Five minutes later the sides were level when Liam Keane worked well for Sean Walsh who kicked over. Millstreet came close to a goal in the 16th minute when Thomas Sheehan's effort was saved by Luke Hanna with the rebound going to Danny Buckley who pointed.

'Town' were back on level terms in the 19th minute when Liam Keane and Shane Cahill worked hard for Michael Walsh who made it 0-3 each. Sean Walsh edged the winners ahead soon after.

In the 22nd minute Cathal Crowley levelled from a free. They were also level at 0-5 each by the 24th minute. The only goal of the game came two minutes later when Cathal O'Mahony, Sean O'Sullivan, Stephen Fox, Sean Walsh and Michael Walsh were all involved in placing the inrushing Stephen Fox for a great goal. This was a major score with 'Town' leading for the rest of the game. Liam Keane pointed a late free as Mitchelstown led 1-6 to 0-5 at the break.

Millstreet got two early points on the resumption, but were unable to get any closer. Mitchelstown used the short passing at speed and with the aid of the cross wind they led all through.

Sean Walsh had a good point. Liam Keane had a massive point that curled in with the wind in the 35th minute as they were four points clear 1-8 to 0- 7. Michael Vaughan closed the gap to a goal.

In the 43rd minute Pa Magee had a very good point and when Shane Cahill and Jason Cott added a point each they were 1-11 to 0- 8 clear after 47 minutes. Millstreet attack lacked scoring power with Michael Vaughan their main target man.

Vaughan pointed soon after. Good play by Sean Walsh led to a fine point by Dylan Reidy-Price. Jason Cott worked well for Sean Walsh who had his third and final point. Millstreet never gave up they had two late points by Michael Vaughan.

Mitchelstown now meet Ballydesmond this Saturday in Round 4.

Mitchelstown: L Hanna, B Coffey, K Wrenn, L Finn, S O'Sullivan, S Fox 1-0, P Magee 0-2, S Walsh 0-3, S Beston 0-1, M Walsh 0-1, D Dineen 0-1, J Sheehan, C O'Mahony, S Cahill 0-1, L Keane 0-2 (1f) Subs: L O'Flynn for M Walsh, J Cott 0-1 for J Sheehan, D Reidy-Price 0-1 for L Keane, P Molloy for K Wrenn, E Burke for B Coffey, L Molan for S Cahill

Millstreet: M O'Donovan, D Linehan, P Randles, A Murphy, C Sheehan, K Crowley, S Hickey 0-2, C Crowley 0-3 (2f), M Ellis, D Kiely, M Vaughan 0-4 (0-1f), D Buckley 0-1, T Sheehan 0-1, T Collins, O Murphy Subs: C O'Leary for T Collins, P O'Connor for D Linehan, B Sheehan for T Sheehan

Referee: Cathal Egan (St. Nicks)


Promoted Links

Promoted Links