Sunday 19 November 2017

Mitchelstown prevail over Kilworth after extra-time gripper

IT took extra-time to decide the outcome of this O'Sullivan-Lewis Accountants (Mitchelstown) U21 B FC game at Fermoy.

Under 21 B FC

Mitchelstown 0-10

Kilworth 0-8

(after extra-time)


The game was played in cold wintry conditions with very little between two evenly matched side who were level on five occasions. Kilworth had the aid of the cross wind in the first half. Noel McNamara gave them the opening score with a fourth minute point. 'Town' had three wides before Michael Walsh levelled after 14 minutes.

The next score came in the 21st minute when Michael Dunne placed James McCarthy who kicked over. Moments later Kilworth were denied a goal when Shane Frewen made a timely interception off the line. Nathan Byrne pointed a free in the 24th minute 0-3 to 0-1.

Mitchelstown replied with points by Sean Lane and James Sheehan to be deadlocked before Kilworth edged ahead again with a late point by Noel McNamara that gave an interval lead 0-4 to 0-3.

Mitchelstown did well on the restart. Points by James Sheehan and Jason Cott (frees) gave them the lead for the first time. Further pressure saw them denied two goal scoring chances when Ronan Abernethy saved well on both occasions.

Kilworth had to wait till the 43rd minute for their first score of this half by Noel McNamara. The defending champions regrouped well from here with Nathan Byrne, James McCarthy, Gary McCarthy and Brian Sheehan to the fore and they added two points that had them 0-7 to 0-5 ahead with ten minutes left.

In a gripping finish 'Town rallied well where two points by Jason Cott ensured the game went to extra time when they finished in stalemate at full time at 0-7 each.

In extra-time the winners with Jason Cott, Michael Walsh, Joseph O'Sullivan and James Sheehan showing their experience gained a foothold and by half time in extra time they led 0-9 to 0- 7. In the second period Joseph O'Sullivan and Noel McNamara exchanged a single point that saw Mitchelstown hold out for a close win.

Mitchelstown: L Molan, D Molan, S Frewen, R Quirke, D Considine, S Lane 0-1, D Sheehan, L Allen, M Walsh 0-2, B Coffey, J Sheehan 0-3 (0-1f), J O'Sullivan 0-1, J Cott 0-3 0-1f), B O'Sullivan, R O'Doherty. Subs: J Gubbins for B O'Sullivan (inj) J Mullins for R Quirke.

Kilworth: R Abernethy, B Roche, K Twomey, D Twomey, S Keane, N Byrne 0-1f, D Mannix, James McCarthy 0-2, G McCarthy, J Condon, N McNamara 0-5 (0-2f), Jason McCarthy, B Sheehan, M Dunne, James McCarthy. Sub: K Condon for D Mannix.

Referee: Denis O'Leary (Watergrasshill)


Promoted Links

Promoted Links