Sunday 24 March 2019

Late scoring spree wins title for Kilshannig

Rebel Óg North Cork Minor A Football League Final

The Kilshannig team that defeated Knocknagree in the Rebel Og North Cork MAFL Final
The Kilshannig team that defeated Knocknagree in the Rebel Og North Cork MAFL Final

Kilshannig pulled away from Knocknagree during the closing stages after a cracking Rebel Óg North Cork Minor A Football League Final played in Knocknagree last Friday night.

Kilshannig 1-13, Knocknagree 0-10

Two determined sides battled it out for more than 50 minutes yet a physically stronger Kilshannig finished on the ascendancy and a productive offensive yielded a 1-4 tally without reply to collect the silverware. Crucially Kilshannig's performance unloaded plenty of endeavour, a solid supply of enterprise and an impressive sense of calmness under pressure to snatch the initiative with the game up for grabs.

Kilshannig had got off to decent start and availed of attacking forays to shade the opening quarter on lead points to Dylan O'Callaghan, Jack Twomey and Diarmuid O'Sullivan. Steadily, Knocknagree came more into the picture, Paul O'Connor performing an effective sweeper's role, well assisted by Brendan Murphy and Andrew Sheehan.

Going forward, Eoghan McSweeney delivered sweet points as did John F Daly and Chris White for Knocknagree to shade matters 0-6 to 0-5 at the break. A nip and tuck affair continued into the restart, the sides trading blow for blow only for Knocknagree substitute Michael O'Mahony to break the deadlock at the three quarter stage.

Trailing 0-10 to 0-9, Kilshannig raised their game to new levels, solidified by the efforts of Alan O'Connell, Brian Guerin, Killian Murphy and Joseph Cronin. And the initiative took a definite swing towards the visitors on carving out the tussle's only goal.

That sprang from rewarding play by Twomey and O'Callaghan to combine for Conor Murphy to thread the ball to the net. The initiative had firmly shifted towards Kilshannig and for all their efforts to redress the situation, Knocknagree failed to penetrate an opposing defence that closed ranks.

And any lingering doubt regarding the outcome was dispelled with O'Callaghan and Twomey posting the insurance points.


Kilshannig: C Murphy 1-0, D O'Callaghan 0-4, J Twomey 0-3, D O'Sullivan 0-2, J Kearney 0-2, K Murphy, K O'Flynn 0-1 each.

Knocknagree: E McSweeney 0-5(0-3f), C White 0-2, J F Daly 0-2, M O'Mahony 0-1.

Kilshannig: K McMahon; B Walsh, L Singleton, B Guerin; J Kearney, A O'Connell, P O'Callaghan; K Murphy, J Cronin; C Murphy, D O'Callaghan, D O'Sullivan; J Twomey, S Cremin, K O'Flynn. Subs: G O'Sullivan for Cremin, J Murphy for O'Sullivan, T Brennan for J Murphy.

Knocknagree: P Doyle; P Twomey, A Cronin, K Leader; G Vaughan, B Murphy, L Sugrue; A Sheehan, L Murphy; S Twomey, E McSweeney, C White; P O'Connor, D O'Connor, J F Daly. Subs: M O'Mahony for Cronin, T O'Connor for S Twomey.

Referee: D Hickey (Millstreet)