Tuesday 16 January 2018

Kilworth see off Clyda to reach semis

JAFC quarter-final

Kilworth 2-7

Clyda Rovers 0-6

Having lost out to eventual champions Mitchelstown in the semi final last season Kilworth Junior A footballers are back at the same stage in this year's Fermoy Credit Union JAFC when they proved too crafty for Clyda Rovers in the quarter-final at Ballyhooly on Friday. While there was no denying Kilworth a well merited victory Clyda Rovers on the otherhand will rue the two players they had dismissed over the hour and in the end it had a major bearing on the outcome.

The opening stages saw both teams quick into the action being level for the second time at 0-2 each by the 12th minute. Clyda Rovers edged in front soon after when a quick free by Colin Ronayne led to a long range effort by Roy Willis, Kilworth also created their fair share of chances. They had two wides in quick succession before Clyda Rovers were reduced to 14 players when they had a defender dismissed for two bookable offences. Paudie Lynch pointed the resultant free to level matters and at the end of normal time Justin Aherne created the games first real goal scoring opportunity when his effort at goal was deflected off Donal O'Mullane at the expense of a point that helped Kilworth hold an interval lead 0-4 to 0-3.

On the changeover the winners continued where they left off late in the opening half with Nathan Byrne, Brian and Liam Whelan commanding figures in the key half back line. Up front Will Condon and Liam Whelan had a point each before a delivery by Brian Whelan saw substitute James McCarthy get inside the Rovers backline to score the games opening goal and surge his side into a 1-6 to 0-3 lead. Being six points down Clyda Rovers were dealt another blow moments later when they had a second player sent to the line. However despite the numerical advantage Kilworth found it hard to push on from here with Clyda Rovers battling away with Declan Roche, Roy Willis, Donal O'Callaghan and substitute Michael Forde impressing.

With less than two minutes remaining the Mourneabbey side had the lead down to four points and they also had a goal scoring chance by Declan Roche saved on the line by the Kilworth keeper Pat O'Brien. However Kilworth never looked in any real danger and in injury time a delivery from a sideline by Aidan Condon was finished to the net by Will Condon as they ran out deserving winners and now await the winner of the last quarter final between Killavullen and Ballyclough to confirm their semi-final opponents.

KILWORTH: P O'Brien, K Twomey, M McNamara, H Allen, B Whelan, N Byrne, L Whelan 0-1, K Lane, A O'Hara, A Condon, Sean Keane 0-1, W Condon 1-1, P Lynch 0-3f, G Heskin, J Aherne 0-1. Subs: J McCarthy 1-0 for G Heskin, T Twomey for K Lane (inj), Shane Keane for B Whelan, B Sheehan for Sean Keane, D Twomey for H Allen (inj).

CLYDA ROVERS: C O'Donoghue, C Greene, R Walsh, W Cronin, C Crowley, D O'Callaghan, S Ronayne 0-1, C O'Connell, R Willis 0-1, C Ronayne, D O'Mullane, J Buckley, R Flanagan, D Roche 0-3 (2f), M Linehan 0-1. Subs: P Forde for Flanagan, D Walsh for Cronin, M Forde for Crowley, T Buckley for O'Mullane, T O'Connor for Buckley.


Promoted Links

Promoted Links