Sunday 22 September 2019

Kilshannig take League title after extra-time

Cavanagh's Fermoy Division 1 FL Final: Kilshannig 1-18 Fermoy 2-14 (after extra-time)

The Kilshannig squad that won the Cavanagh's of Fermoy Division 1 Football League after defeating Fermoy in last week's Final in Shanballymore. Photo: Eric Barry
The Kilshannig squad that won the Cavanagh's of Fermoy Division 1 Football League after defeating Fermoy in last week's Final in Shanballymore. Photo: Eric Barry

Kilshannig regained the Cavanagh's Fermoy Division 1 FL title they last held in 2016 when they had a point to spare over Fermoy on Thursday in Shanballymore in a keenly contested final.

Kilshannig got the perfect start with Kieran Twomey opening with an early point. Good play by impressive Bill Curtin led to a fine point by Jack Twomey. Good work by Fermoy along the flank saw Ronan O'Callaghan work a good cross to Jack O'Callaghan who was denied by Kilshannig keeper Jerome Murphy, however the clearance was picked up by Cian O'Carroll who goaled.

Good play by Jerome Murphy to Jack Twomey saw Darragh O'Sullivan level with a fine point. Kilshannig were in the ascendancy with their half backs and midfielders doing well. Darragh O'Sullivan and Kieran Twomey (2) added points 0-6 to 1-0 clear after 15 minutes. A foul on Eoin O'Sullivan led to another pointed free by Kieran Twomey. Further pressure yielded points by James O'Hanlon and Kieran Twomey. Fermoy's first point came from a free by David Lardner in the 23rd minute. A free by Garry O'Callaghan led to a fine point by Ronan O'Callaghan. Kilshannig lost Pa Egan to a red card just before the break.

Fermoy availed of the extra man on the changeover and they came very much into the game. They had outstanding performances by Adam Creed, Jeffrey Daly, Ronan O'Callaghan, Arlene Aherne and Greg Lardner. Ronan O'Callaghan pointed an early free. Kilshannig had a pointed free after a foul on Jack Kearney. Frank McCarthy was also fouled and Kieran Twomey pointed the free. Fermoy's Peter Murphy came close to a goal after a four man attack, his attempt hit the crossbar and was cleared to safety.

Impressive Colm O'Shea was fouled for Kilshannig and Kieran Twomey with the free made it 0-12 to 1-3. Adam Creed made a great run up field and kicked a great point. Kilshannig had another Kieran Twomey free after a foul on Conor McMahon. It was all Fermoy for the next 20 minutes. They got on top in the half backline and they used the short passing at speed to great effect. Points by David Lardner, Ronan O'Callaghan and Mark Flynn cut the lead to the minimum in the 53rd minute 1-12 to 0-14. In injury time a foul on Colm O'Shea led to an equalising pointed free by Kieran Twomey 1-12 to 0-15 at the final whistle.

For the extra time Kilshannig brought on Denis Cloghan who did very well. The Glantane side were boosted by an early goal by Eoin O'Sullivan. Good play by Kieran Dorgan led to Jack Hutchings cutting through from the 40 only to be denied by Jerome Murphy with the rebound going over. Good play by Adam Creed to Jack O'Callaghan led to a point 1-15 to 1-14 at half time.

On the resumption Kevin O'Flynn kicked a very good Kilshannig point. Dermot Twomey and Kieran Twomey followed with a point each 1-18 to 1-14. Fermoy made an all out attempt to get back in contention. They were narrowly wide from a close in free as the game entered th dying moments. In injury time they had a goal when Greg Lardner and Ronan O'Callaghan worked well for Jack Hutchings who goaled in off the post. Time ran out and it was Kilshannig who took the title by the narrowest of margins. After the game John Roche Treasurer Avondhu Board presented the cup to the winning captain the injured John P McAuliffe. Kieran Twomey was a worthy 'man of the match' winner.

KILSHANNIG: J Murphy, B Curtin, E Burke, R O'Mahony, C O'Shea, B Guerin, P Egan, J Twomey 0-1, F McCarthy, J O'Hanlon 0-1, E O'Sullivan 1-0, K Twomey 0-11 (8f), J Kearney, P O'Connell, D O'Sullivan 0-2. Subs: C McMahon for D O'Sullivan (inj), K O'Flynn 0-1 for J O'Hanlon, D Twomey 0-1 for C McMahon (inj), B Walsh for P O'Connell, D Cloghan (15th man in extra-time), P O'Connell for R O'Mahony (black card).

FERMOY: R Clancy, A Creed 0-1, J O'Sullivan, R O'Sullivan, S Shanahan, J Daly, P Murphy, G O'Callaghan, J Hutchings 1-1, G Lardner 0-1, A Aherne 0-1, J O'Callaghan 0-1, C O'Carroll 1-0, D Lardner 0-2f, R O'Callaghan 0-6 (2f). Subs: L Aherne for G O'Callaghan, M Flynn 0-1 for J O'Callaghan, K Dorgan for C O'Carroll, A Forde for D Lardner, G Lardner for A Aherne. C O'Carroll for A Forde.

Referee: Michael Sheehan (Liscarroll)