Saturday 24 March 2018

Hurlers first County title of season

Congratulations to the Fermoy Intermediate hurlers on becoming the first team in Cork to win a county board title in 2014.

At a cold, damp and especially windy St Vincent's grounds high up on the Churchfield area of Cork city on Sunday afternoon last, the Fermoy side clashed with East Cork rivals Fr O'Neill's from Ballymacoda area in the final of the Sean O'Murchu Cup competition. The game was sponsored by the St Vincent's Club of which the late Sean O'Murchu was a lifelong member and one of the main driving forces behind the development of the pitches and The Pavilion on their grounds.

A strong end to end wind was definitely a factor in deciding this game as both teams benefitted greatly from its assistance; however, both sides found much difficulty in directing the ball goalwards and, as such, we had a pretty low scoring game, with defences on both sides were on top for most of the game.

Fr O'Neill's led at the interval, 0-8 to 0-5, but somehow Fermoy had been coming more into the game after the introduction of David Geary after ten minutes or so. Geary's opening point for his team signalled a rallying call and with Brian O'Sullivan, Paudie Shanahan, Mark O'Flynn also getting on the score sheet they had reeled in the East Cork side to 0-3 by half time.

The Fermoy backs and midfield were getting on top and this was even more so after the resumption. Brian O'Sullivan reduced the arrears with a pointed free on the restart. However, the East Cork side were not giving in too easily and for the next 20 minutes or so they doggedly held on to their lead.

O'Neill's still had their noses in front by the 55th minute and it looked as if they were going to hold out for a win. However, a cloud of smoke from a nearby chimney fire enveloped the pitch for a few minutes before play could be resumed- his break seemed to do the Fermoy lads good as they immediately reset their thoughts towards winning this game. Brian O'Sullivan and Dave Geary with points closed the gap to 0-2 before the hard working Padraig de Roiste followed up to tap a rebound to the net for what proved to be the winning score for Fermoy.

Despite a gallant last minute effort by O'Neill's the Fermoy defence held firm and their forwards added a further 0-2 before the final whistle.

After the game the cup was presented to the Fermoy Captain Brian O'Sullivan who suitably replied and thanked all involved for a good sporting display.