Friday 17 November 2017

Harbour Rovers juniors off to winning start

Premier JHC Harbour Rovers 2-14 Kilshannig 1-9

The North Cork Hibernian Hotel Premier JHC got under way at Castletownroche on Sunday when last years beaten finalists Harbour Rovers with a strong performance in the last quarter saw off the newly promoted JAHC kingpins Kilshannig.

Despite Harbour Rovers taking an early lead through Denis Gallagher it was Kilshannig that made a promising start as they reeled off four quick points by Killian O'Hanlon (2) Liam Casey and Cian Nagle to move into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead by the 7th minute.

As the half progressed the Rovers with the aid of the crosswind gained a foothold on proceedings with Sean Finn, David Pyne, Sean O'Keeffe, Denis Gallagher and Padraigh Hannon improving greatly from here and in the 12th minute they hit the front when Denis Gallagher finished to the net from a tight angle 1-2 to 0-4.

Kilshannig levelled matters immediately with a Killian O'Hanlon pointed free but at this stage Harbour Rovers were certainly in the ascendancy and they scored the next six points to move into a 1-8 to 0-5 advantage by the 20th minute.

Killian O'Hanlon kept Kilshannig in touch with another pointed free while keeper Scott McNamara also kept the Harbour Rovers forwards at bay when he made a point blank saves from both Denis Gallagher and Francis J O'Flynn before the half time whistle.

Timmy Rice with a long range point made it 1-9 to 0-6 while just before the break Kilshannig came thundering back into the tie when great work by Cian Nagle saw him set up Frank McCarthy who netted from close range and narrowed the deficit to 1-9 to 1-6 at the interval.

On the changeover Kilshannig started where they left off late in the opening half and by the 41st minute were back on level terms at 1-9 apiece when Killian O'Hanlon (2) and Frank McCarthy had points.

Strangely the Glantane side failed the score for the rest of the game even though they stayed firmly in contention right up to the closing moments. Harbour Rovers on the otherhand showed the greater awareness and two points in the space of a minute by David Pyne and Denis Gallagher moved them into a two point lead.

Over the next couple of minutes both teams accounted for a number of wides before the Rovers struck for a second goal in the 49th minute when Padraigh Hannon placed John Landers whose delivery into the square was flicked to the net by Shane O'Riordan 2-11 to 1-9. It was all the Rovers from here with Padraigh Hannon (2) and Denis Gallagher adding points that helped seal their path to the knockout stages.

HARBOUR ROVERS: M Jackson, B O'Keeffe, D Healy, M Cashman, S Finn, D Pyne 0-3f, P Blackburne, S O'Keeffe, P Hannon 0-4 (0-1f) E Sheehan, D Gallagher 1-4, R Murphy 0-2, F J O'Flynn, T Rice 0-1, A Sheehan. Subs: S O'Riordan 1-0 for A Sheehan, J Landers for M Cashman, W Jackson for T Rice.

KILSHANNIG: S McNamara, D Finnegan, R O'Mahony, C Casey, I Twomey, D O'Mahony, M Twomey, T Twomey, D Ruby, L Casey 0-1, R Ryan, K O'Hanlon 0-6f, D Murphy, F McCarthy 1-1, C Nagle 0-1. Subs: D Clogan for David Ruby,

Refere : Dave Copps (Ballyhea)


Promoted Links

Promoted Links