Tuesday 26 March 2019

Douglas deny Shandrum a place in the U-20 semi-finals

County U-21 Premier 1 HC quarter-final: Douglas 2-20 Shandrum 3-14

Pat Ryan

Douglas had three points to spare over 'Shandrum in the County Premier 1 U-21 HC quarter-final at Buttevant on Sunday. Over the hour there was no denying Douglas being the better side. Shandrum stayed in contention all through and were unlucky not to get an equalising goal in injury time.

Tim O'Mahony opened with two early points for Shandrum with Diarmuid O'Mahony pointing a free for Douglas. Brian Turnbull and Eoghan O'Brien with points levelled at 0-3 each.

They were also tied at 0-4 and 0-5 each by the 17th minute. Good play by Johnny Geary led to a Tim O'Mahony goal. Douglas battled back well and some well taken points by Diarmuid O'Mahony, Ross Howell and Conor Russell had them level 1-6 to 0-9. Conor Russell came close to a goal but Eric Moloney saved well. Pointed frees by Diarmuid O'Mahony and Cormac O'Brien had them level for the fifth and last time after 28 minutes. Douglas had a goal from a Diarmuid O'Mahony free in injury time that had them 1-10 to 1-7 clear at the break.

Within 20 seconds of the restart Johnny Geary had a great point. Ross Howell replied for the City side. Pointed frees were exchanged with Douglas being reduced to 14 men. By the 40th minute Shandrum were down to 14 and three points adrift 1-13 to 1-10 when Diarmuid O'Mahony pointed another free. Good play for the Avondhu side led to a pointed free by Tim O'Mahony. Entering the final quarter they closed the gap to a point when Johnny Geary worked well for David Jones 1-13 to 1-12.

Douglas pushed on with points by Diarmuid O'Mahony (2) Shane Kingston and Conor Russell as they moved 1-17 to 1-12 ahead. Shandrum lost Darragh Hawe to a red card. They came close to a goal when Sean Griffin got through but Donal Maher saved well.

In the 60th minute good play by Eoghan O'Brien led to a goal by Brian Turnbull that opened up a lead 2-17 to 1-12. Nine minutes of injury time were played. Shandrum made a great late rally. Tim O'Mahony goaled. Douglas had a good point by Shane Kingston. Tim O'Mahony cut the lead to six points with a free.

The Avondhu side had their third goal in the 64th minute when Tim O'Mahony placed David Jones who netted. Diarmuid O'Mahony added another point for Douglas with Tim O'Mahony replying. Deep in injury time a free by Brian Buckley went narrowly wide with the final whistle following.

Douglas: D Maher, S McGrath, T O'Sullivan, D Ward, C Sheehan, B Hartnett, D Murphy, L Dineen, R Howell 0-3, E O'Brien 0-1, D O'Mahony 1-10 (1-8f), C Baldwin, B Turnbull 1-1, S Kingston 0-3, C Russell 0-2. Subs: B O'Connor for R Howell.

Shandrum: E Moloney, K Foley, D Guiney, P O'Sullivan, K O'Sullivan, B Buckley, L Morrissey, D Hawe, J Twomey 0-2, C Griffin, T O'Mahony 2-8 (0-6f), C O'Brien 0-1f, J Geary 0-1, K O'Leary, S Griffin 0-1. Subs: D Jones 1-1 for K O'Leary, C Bowles for D Guiney (inj).

Referee: Ger Scully (Killeagh)