Monday 20 November 2017

Culloty is toast of Newmarket

Newmarket 2-10 Fermoy 0-15

Fermoy's Padraig De Roiste takes on Newmarket's Michael Cottrell during the early stages of last weekend's County Premier Intermediate Football Championship 1st round clash. Photo: Eric Barry
Fermoy's Padraig De Roiste takes on Newmarket's Michael Cottrell during the early stages of last weekend's County Premier Intermediate Football Championship 1st round clash. Photo: Eric Barry

John Tarrant

Newmarket refused to take no for an answer as their dogged persistence delivered a powerful finish to snatch a dramatic win over Fermoy in a preliminary round to the County Premier Intermediate Football Championship at Buttevant last Sunday.

In doing so, Newmarket stunned their fancied opponents with an injury time goal. At one stage during the second half, the Duhallow side had slipped behind by six points before igniting a revival that helped gather parity.

However, the Fermoy response looked emphatic on regaining a two point advantage. But write off Newmarket at one's peril, they offered an aggressive offensive and the reward came in the 62nd minute match winning goal.

In the height of the drama, TJ Brosnan punted a long range delivery into the danger zone and from the breaking ball in a cluster of players, somehow Daniel Culloty got a touch for the ball to ricochet off a Fermoy player over the goal line.

A degree of controversy reigned, Fermoy adamant that the ball had been stopped but match official Brian Coniry sided with his umpires to award the match winning goal.

Though trailing at various stages, positional changes in addition to Newmarket's dogged determination and honesty held the capacity to resurrect all their powers of stubbornness.

The old saying about two points being a dangerous lead became a sickening reality for Fermoy yet they can avail of another opportunity to remain in the championship in round 2.

Newmarket had enjoyed a flyer of a start, Culloty pointing inside the opening min. only for Fermoy to answer from Rory O'Hagan. Indeed last season's county finalists began to create inroads, their power emanating from the influence of Tomas Clancy at centre-back with Darragh O'Carroll and Padraig de Roiste working solidly in midfield, well supported by Padraig Clancy and Kieran Morrison.

'Keeper Liam Coleman stepped up to point a free as did Martin Brennan and O'Hagan find the target. For a spell, Newmarket with Kevin O'Sullivan as sweeper put the brakes on the Fermoy surge, neat points from TJ Brosnan and Barry O'Connor cut the deficit 0-4 to 0-3.

Though a diagonal breeze blew, both sides served up entertaining fare, an excellent O'Hagan point matched by Culloty. As Newmarket pressed, their wides tally stacked up on a trio of consecutive yielded nothing in addition to a ball coming off the woodwork.

That compared to a much sharper Fermoy, the enterprising O'Hagan popped over his fifth point for the Avondhu side to lead 0-7 to 0-4 at the break.

On the restart and an exchange of points yet Fermoy again held the better of the exchanges and a productive spell yielded points to Alan O'Connor, Padraig Clancy and Morrison in quick succession.

Newmarket attempted to remedy the situation, forfeiting a goal opportunity, Fermoy custodian Coleman dealt capably with Culloty's effort. Trailing 0-12 to 0-6, Newmarket demonstrated battling qualities, Aidan Browne and Culloty on target though O'Hagan tacked on a pointed free at the opposite end.

Still Newmarket went about their task with plenty of hunger and gusto. That stemmed from shuffling the line up, Aidan Browne, Bart Daly and Paudie Allen emerged strongly in defence with Brosnan and Cottell conspicuous in the centre, O'Sullivan now operated further upfield with Donal Hannon and Conor O'Keeffe adding bite in attack.

The game was in the melting pot in the 52nd minute, Alan Ryan set up Daly for a smashing goal. Now Newmarket gained a new lease of life, O'Keeffe and Culloty pointed to square up the tie.

As the tension rose, so did the excitement, Fermoy regained the lead courtesy of a terrific Morrison point. Those closing minutes weren't without debate, Fermoy failing to convert a 45 but the referee penalized Newmarket on awarding a re-kick 13 metres further in that O'Hagan duly converted.

The drama continued, all or nothing for Newmarket on trailing by two points.

Somehow they found additional reserves of energy to rise to the challenge again and deep into injury time, Newmarket searching for a reprieve came to fruition, Brosnan's delivery landed where intended and Culloty connected to steer the ball across the goal line for a dramatic winner.

NEWMARKET: D Quinlan; A Browne 0-1, J Ryan, P Allen; G Forde, B Daly 1-0, A Ryan; T J Brosnan 0-1, M Cottrell 0-1; T O'Keeffe, D Culloty 1-5(0-1f, 0-1'45), D Hannon; B O'Connor 0-1, K O'Sullivan, C O'Keeffe 0-1 Subs: R O'Keeffe for T O'Keeffe (39), J Guiney for Forde (43)

FERMOY: L Coleman 0-1f; S Shanahan, J Daly, A Baragry; B O'Sullivan, T Clancy, P Murphy; D O'Carroll, P de Roiste; P Clancy 0-1, A Aherne, K Morrison 0-2; M Brennan 0-1, R O'Hagan 0-8(0-3f), A O'Connor 0-2 Subs: D Dawson for Aherne(43), R O'Callaghan for Brennan (59)

Referee: B Coniry (Crosshaven)


Promoted Links

Promoted Links