Thursday 18 July 2019

Cork fail to capitalise on Kildare playing second half with 14 men

National Football League Division 2 Round 2: Kildare 1-10 Cork 0-10

Conor Dennehy of Cork in action against Mick O’Grady of Kildare during the Allianz Football League Division 2 Round 2 match at Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork. Photo by Sportsfile
Conor Dennehy of Cork in action against Mick O’Grady of Kildare during the Allianz Football League Division 2 Round 2 match at Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork. Photo by Sportsfile

Denis Hurley

Cork remain without victory after two games of their Allianz FL Division 2 campaign, as Kildare overcame a numerical disparity to take the points at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday afternoon.

Having drawn their opening game with Fermanagh the previous week, Cork would have gone second in the table had they won and, with the sides level when Kildare were reduced to 14 men following the sending-off of Fergal Conway early in the second half, it looked like Ronan McCarthy's side would push on.

Instead, the visitors outscored Cork by 0-5 to over the remaining 25 minutes, with sub Neil Flynn landing three big points as the Rebels failed to make use of their extra man.

For the second game in a row, Cork conceded a goal and failed to score one, with Kevin Feely's converted first-half penalty ultimately the difference. However, there were at least signs of a growing defensive solidity and results elsewhere meant that promotion need not yet be discounted, even if it is a remote possibility.

Cork had the first score, Michael Hurley on target inside a minute, but Kildare were soon level, Fionn Dowling on the end of a good passing move featuring Keith Cribbin and Fergal Conway.

Luke Connolly did put the Rebels back in front with a free, having missed two before that, but Kildare seized the lead as they won a penalty, Jimmy Hyland fouled by Ronan O'Toole as the ball dropped, with Kevin Feely slotting his spot-kick low beyond the dive of Mark White.

While Cork did draw level as Hurley got his second and Ruairí Deane profited from a mark after a good Connolly delivery, Kildare replied with three consecutive points from Adam Tyrrell, Ben McCormack and Jimmy Hyland, the latter after claiming a mark.

Though Cork were difficult to break down, by and large - one three-minute period saw Kildare string a long series of passes together without really getting beyond the Cork '45' - the home side had seven wides by half-time, in contrast to just two for the Lilywhites, who led by 1-4 to 0-5 at the break.

Tyrrell's second free extended that advantage on the resumption but Cork fired back strongly. Connolly took a mark from Mark Collins' pass and sent the ball over before Hurley scored his fourth and fifth points of the game to tie matters at 0-8 to 1-5 - the same final score in Cork's trip to Fermanagh last week.

Kildare's prospects were dented on 42 minutes as influential midfielder Fergal Conway was sent off, receiving a black card after being booked in the first half, but it didn't matter on the scoreboard as Kevin Feely and Ben McCormack put them two in front. In between those scores, Cork might have goaled when Deane's pass allowed wing-back Matthew Taylor a chance but Mark Donnellan saved well.

Sub Seán White finally ended 16 scoreless minutes for Cork but Kildare replacement Neil Flynn replied and then, after Donnellan had tipped Deane's shot on to the crossbar, Flynn repeated the dose to once again open up a three-point advantage.

The announcement of five minutes of additional time gave Cork hope, but instead Kildare extended their advantage as Flynn sent over a 45. Mark Collins had a late point for Cork while Kildare finished with 13 men as Keith Cribbin was black-carded, but late pressure couldn't yield the goal the hosts needed.

Cork sub Brian Hurley was dismissed at the death following an off-the-ball incident, meaning he will incur a suspension, a big miss as the team seek the scores to get themselves further up the table.


Kildare: Kevin Feely 1-1 (1-0 penalty), Neil Flynn 0-3 (0-1 45), Ben McCormack, Adam Tyrrell (f) 0-2 each, Jimmy Hyland (m), Fionn Dowling 0-1 each. Cork: Michael Hurley 0-5, Luke Connolly 0-2 (1f, 1m), Ruairí Deane (m), Mark Collins (f), Seán White 0-1 each.

Kildare: Mark Donnellan; Mark Dempsey, Mick O'Grady, David Hyland; James Murray, Eoin Doyle, Keith Cribbin; Kevin Feely, Fionn Dowling; Conor Hartley, Fergal Conway, David Slattery; Adam Tyrrell, Ben McCormack, Jimmy Hyland. Subs: Aaron Masterson for Hartley (half-time), Neil Flynn for Dowling (45), Cian O'Donoghue for Murray (54), Eoghan O'Flaherty for Tyrrell (57), Jason Gibbons for Hyland (66).

Cork: Mark White (Clonakilty); Kevin O'Donovan (Nemo Rangers), Kevin Flahive (Douglas), Conor Dennehy (St Finbarr's); James Loughrey (Mallow), Stephen Cronin (Nemo Rangers), Matthew Taylor (Mallow); Ian Maguire (St Finbarr's), Ronan O'Toole (Éire Óg); Tomás Clancy (Fermoy), Eoghan McSweeney (Knocknagree), Mark Collins (Castlehaven); Michael Hurley (Castlehaven), Ruairí Deane (Bantry Blues), Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers). Subs: Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers) for McSweeney (half-time), Seán White (Clonakilty) for O'Toole (48), Liam O'Donovan (Clonakilty) for Loughrey (54), Brian Hurley (Castlehaven) for Connolly (56), Killian O'Hanlon (Kilshannig) for Clancy (62).

Referee: Seán Lonergan (Tipperary).


Main Man

Not a day when a lot in red stood out but Michael Hurley can be proud of his outing, with five points from play.

Talking Point

Cork remain without a win but results elsewhere mean things are congested, with Donegal the only county on a maximum of four points.

What's Next?

Cork travel to Ennis to face Clare next Sunday.