Thursday 22 August 2019

Cork always in control in Munster against Waterford

Munster Under-20 FC semi-final: Cork 5-23 Waterford 0-7

Pat Ryan, Clonakilty, Co Cork

Cork and Waterford contested a very one sided Eirgrid Munster Under 20 FC semi-final at Clonakilty on Friday evening. The game was played in ideal weather conditions before 983 patrons.

Cork had the aid of the breeze in the opening half. Damian Gore opened the scoring after three minutes. Good play by Colm Barrett led to a fine point by Brian Hartnett. Cathal O'Mahony followed with fine point and he made it 0-4 to 0-0 when pointed a free in the 8th minute. Good play for Waterford by Sean Whelan-Barrett to Stephen Curry led to a foul on Brian Lynch that Darragh Corcoran pointed. Cork picked up their game considerably. They dominated in the half back line and midfield sectors with all their forwards figuring on the score sheet.

In all the Rebels had 14 different scorers. By the 16th minute they moved 0-7 to 0-2 clear. Three goals in rapid succession killed off the contest. First Mark Cronin goaled and Peter O'Driscoll followed with a punched point.

Cathal O'Mahony soloed through and netted with Damian Gore following with a goal 3-8 to 0-2 after 24 minutes. Good play by Paul Ring to Cathal O'Mahony led to a very good point by Gearoid O'Donovan. By half time Cork were out of sight when leading 3-12 to 0-2.

For the second half Cork introduced Jack McCarthy. Billy Power had an early point for the Deise side. Damian Gore followed with two points as the winners opened up a lead 3-14 to 0-3.

Further Cork pressure yielded points by Mark Cronin and Cathal O'Mahony. Good work by Mark Hodnett on the flank to Peter O'Driscoll led to a well taken point by Colm Barrett. Cork brought on Jack Murphy who did very well.

In the 40th minute Darragh Corcoran kept Waterford in touch with a point. Cork's 4th goal came in the 47th minute when Damian Gore's effort came back off the crossbar with Jack McCarthy on hand to goal from the rebound as they led 4-18 to 0-4.

Good play for Waterford by Tom Barron led to a point by Sean Whelan-Barrett. Stephen Curry followed with a point for the Deise side. Points for Cork by Mark Hodnett, Michael O'Mahony and Jack Murphy put the Rebels 4-21 to 0-6 clear. Hodnett pointed a free.

In the 61st minute Colm O'Callaghan goaled in off the crossbar. Good play by David Buckley led to Cork's last score a point by Fionn Herlihy. Waterford completed the scoring deep in injury-time. There was no denying Cork their very easy win.

They will meet far stiffer opposition this evening (Thursday) when they face Kerry in Pairc Ui Rinn in the Munster final.

CORK: J O'Keeffe (Newmarket), M O'Mahony 0-1 (Knocknagree), M Shanley (Clonakilty), P Ring (Aghabullogue), G O'Donovan 0-2 (Newcestown), S Hickey (Millstreet), P O'Driscoll 0-2 (Ilen Rovers), B Hartnett 0-1 (Douglas), E O'Hanlon (Kilshannig), C Barrett 0-1 (St. Finbarr's), B Murphy 0-1 (St. Vincent's), M Hodnett 0-3 (1f) (Carbery Rangers), M Cronin 1-3 (Nemo Rangers), C O'Mahony 1-4 (0-1f) (Mitchelstown), D Gore 1-3 (Kilmacabea). Subs: J McCarthy 1-0 (Carrigaline) for G O'Donovan, J Murphy 0-1 (Eire Og) for B Murphy, C O'Callaghan 1-0 (Eire Og) for C Barrett, D Buckley (Newcestown) for C O'Mahony, D O'Connell (Kanturk) for E O'Hanlon (inj), F Herlihy 0-1 (Doheny's) for B Hartnett.

WATERFORD: J Coffey, R Power, R Stringer, L Fennell, M Twomey, T Barron, S Fitzgerald, D Booth, B Lynch, S Whelan-Barrett 0-1, S Curray, B Power 0-1, D O'Keeffe, L Walsh, D Corcoran 0-4 (1f). Subs: B Hynes for R Power, S Hahessy for B Power, J Walsh for L Walsh, J Fitzgerald for D Booth, D Beresford for D O'Keeffe, D Cullinane for R Stringer.

Referee: Sean Joy (Kerry)