Wednesday 16 October 2019

Clyda Rovers off to winning start in Under-21 BFC

Under-21 BFC: Clyda Rovers 0-14 Kildorrery 0-6

Action from last weekend’s North Cork U-21 B FC game between Clyde Rovers and Kildorrery in Castletownroche. Photo by Eric Barry
Action from last weekend’s North Cork U-21 B FC game between Clyde Rovers and Kildorrery in Castletownroche. Photo by Eric Barry

Clyda Rovers were easy winners over Kildorrery in the Ballylough Milling Under-21 B FC at Castletownroche on Saturday.

The early sequences saw little separate the teams. They were level at 0-1 apiece by the third minute when Conor Corbett and Sean Watson traded points. As the half went on the better balanced Mourneabbey outfit prevailed with centre forward Conor Corbett heavily involved in most of his sides attacks. William Cronin edged them in front with a free before a good solo run by Conor Corbett set up Cronin for his second point in the seventh minute.

Kildorrery replied with a pointed free by Cathal Harrington but it was the Rovers that were in the ascendancy at this juncture with Ben O'Connor, David Walsh, Sean O'Callaghan, William Cronin and Colin Kelly also impressing and it was reflected on the scoreboard when they raced into a 0-6 to 0-2 lead by the end of the first quarter.

Moments later the winners were awarded a penalty when Mark O'Sullivan was brought down in the square. The resultant spot kick by Colin Kelly was well saved by the Kildorrery goalkeeper Tony Watson at the expense of a '45' that Dominic Cronin pointed from. Kildorrery stayed in touch when Cathal Harrington pointed a free but it was Clyda Rovers that finished the half in a flurry.

Colin Kelly pointed two frees in as many minutes before a great solo run by Kelly set up the well placed William Cronin for a fine point in the 28th minute. Kildorrery completed the first half scoring in stoppage time when a delivery by Dylan Kent found Sean Watson who pointed and it reduced the margin to 0-10 to 0-4 at the shortwhistle.

On the changeover Kildorrery with the aid of the wind were expected to do very well. However it was last years beaten finalists Clyda Rovers that dictated matters for most of the second half. Their entire back-line defended very well as a unit while in attack the impressive Conor Corbett with four points by the 53rd minute helped seal the issue long before the final whistle when leading by 0-14 to 0-5.

Kildorrery battled to the end. Ian Butler had the last score of the game at the end of normal time but there was no denying Clyda Rovers a convincing win.

CLYDA ROVERS: E Sheehan, G O'Hanlon, S Kelly, D Fitzpatrick, A Walsh, B O'Connor, G O'Doherty, D Walsh, S O'Callaghan, D Buckley, C Corbett 0-5, C Kelly 0-4 (3f), D Cronin, W Cronin 0-5 (1f, 1 '45'), M O'Sullivan. Subs: A Jack for M O'Sullivan, S Browne for G O'Hanlon, S O'Callaghan for D Cronin, M O'Sullivan for D Walsh (inj).

KILDORRERY: T Watson, J Hunter, P.J Keating, M Walsh-O'Grady, K Noonan, I Butler 0-1, D Hunter, D Kent, A Crowley, K Hurley, C Harrington 0-3f, T O'Sullivan, S Cunningham, Paddy Pigott, S Watson 0-2. Subs: R Hurley for K Hurley (inj) Pierce Pigott for T O'Sullivan, M Caplice for S Watson, D Mullins for C Harrington, D Caplice for A Crowley.

Referee: Aidan Hyland (Kilworth)