Thursday 19 September 2019

Classy Castletown bridge 21-year gap

County JBHC Final: Castletownroche 3-22 Lough Rovers 2-17

Castletownroche regained the County Junior B Hurling Championship title they last held in 1998 when they had eight points to spare over Lough Rovers in the county final at Páirc Ui Rinn on Saturday evening.

It was keenly contested all through with the better balanced Castletown side having a deserved win. Dylan O'Connor opened with an early point. Lough Rovers levelled by their best player Jonathan English from a free. English gave the City side the lead with Mark O'Callaghan levelling from a free.

In the seventh minute Jonathan O'Callaghan soloed in from the corner and goaled. Good play for the winners by Mark O'Callaghan and Niall Hazelwood led to a very good point by Dayne O'Neill.

Niall Hazelwood worked well again for O'Neill for another point. In the 15th minute Jonathan English with another free cut the lead 1-4 to 0-3. The Avondhu side replied with points by Jonathan and Mark O'Callaghan 1-6 to 0-3.

The winners half backs were very solid all through. Muiris Browne had a long range point with Jonathan English keeping the Seandun side in touch 1-7 to 0-6 after 23 minutes.

Two more points for Castletown opened up a double scores lead 1-9 to 0-6. In the 26th minute Paul Cumming soloed through and goaled. Mark O'Callaghan pointed a '65 for the winners who moved 1-10 to 1-6 ahead. Just before half-time Niall Hazelwood and Jonathan English swapped a point as Castletown held an interval lead 1-11 to 1-7.

Lough Rovers had another point on the resumption by English. Dylan O'Connor replied for the winners. By the 40th minute Castletown led 1-14 to 1-10. Good play by Jonathan O'Callaghan led to another Dylan O'Connor point.

There was an exchanged of points up to the 50th minute when the winners moved 1-18 to 1-14 clear. Lough Rovers had a goal by Daniel Kiely to come within a point. Timmy O'Keeffe levelled after good play by Jonathan English 2-15 to 1-18.

Castletown finished very strong. Jonathan O'Callaghan gave them the lead and Mark O'Callaghan followed with a free. Lough Rovers never gave up. Good play by Kieran Kenneally led to a fine point by Jonathan English. Mark O'Callaghan with a free restored the two point lead 1-21 to 2-16.

In the 61st minute Dayne O'Neill had a well taken goal. Jonathan English with another free had his 15th and last score for the City side. Deep in injury time Niall Hazelwood goaled after good play by Seamus Skinner.

Castletown held out for a deserved win. After the game County Board Vice Chairman Mark Sheehan presented the Dan Hoare Memorial Cup to the winning captain David Relihan.

CASTLETOWNROCHE: Donal Relihan, J P Ryan, T Barrett, W Madden, J Browne, M Browne 0-1, David Relihan (Capt) D O'Connor 0-4, S Skinner, J Relihan, M O'Callaghan 0-9 (0-5f, 0-1 '65'), N Hazelwood 1-1, D O'Neill 1-4, J Batterberry 0-1, J O'Callaghan 1-2 Subs: P Murphy for M Browne (inj) H O'Farrell for J P Ryan, P Madden for J Batterberry

LOUGH ROVERS: G Aherne, C Crowley, S Keane, J Lee, C Oliver, P Foy, C Keane, K Kenneally, P Cumming 1-0, J O'Connor, J English 0-15 (0-10f, 0-1 '65'), E O'Keeffe, D Cummins, T O'Keeffe 0-2, A O'Sullivan Sub: D Kiely 1-0 for A O'Sullivan

Referee: Brendan Barry Murphy (Aghabullogue)