Friday 19 October 2018

Ballincollig lay down statement of intent with big win over Carrigaline

County SFC: Ballincollig 2-20 Carrigaline 1-8

Aubert Twomey, Ballinspittle

On their form to date in the championship the contestants in the senior football game arranged for Ballinspittle were expected to be involves in a one sided encounter.

Ballincollig and Carrigaline were the teams involved and the former were strongly fancied to garner the spoils. The result proved to be very much as anticipated with Ballincollig on top in most sectors and they were well on their way to victory at the short whistle.

The mid Cork side playing with the wind in the opening moiety had the football in the net following two minutes of play. Mid fielder Ciaran O'Sullivan was the scorer who was quickly up field to support Liam Jennings who had made a strong run goal wards to open up the Carrigaline defence.

That early Major was an indication of what was ahead as the mid Cork side consolidates their position. Cian Dorgan who was in top form raised white flags in the fourth and seventh minutes, but the winners then suffered a set back.

David Drake who was operating at full-forward for Carrigaline slipped in for a Major but it only proved to be a false dawn. Ballincollig went on the offensive in a devastating manner and as Dorgan and Miskella had their shooting boots on their scores eleven points without reply. Kevin Kavanagh got a point back for Carrigaline before the break but they had a mountain to climb facing the second moiety trailing 1-13 to 1-2.

The south east side had the wind to their backs when the action resumed, but it was Ballincollig who were first to attack and the scoring exploits of Dorgan and Miskella continued as they both sent the football between the uprights.

Carrigaline then managed to improve their scoreboard situation as Drake, Brian Coakley, Eli Harrington, and substitute Barry Ryan secured minors. Dorgan ensured that Ballincollig's position remained comfortable, however, when he kicked another point and a minute later the game was well and truly over as a contest an attempt by the Carrigaline goalie to find colleague with a kick out was intercepted by Patrick Kelly who promptly dispatched the football to the net.

Carrigaline did endeavour to improve their position during the remaining playing time as Ballincollig emptied the bench with all concerned happy that they were advancing in the senior football championship which is now at the quarter final stage.

Ballincollig: J. Gibbons , S. Murphy , N. Galvin , E. Hegarty , C. Moore, L. Jennings, C. Kiely, S. Kiely (0-1), C. O'Sullivan (1-1), S. Coughlan, P. Kelly (1-0), G. Durrant, K. Browne, C. Dorgan (0-13, 4f), J. Miskella (0-5) Subs: I. Couglan for K. Browne 27th injured, L. Fahy for C. Moore, K. Crowley for C. Kiely, R. Noonan for J. Miskella (All 50th) B Cotter for P. Kelly and E. O'Reilly for C. Dorgan (both 53rd)

Carrigaline: K. Daly, C. McSweeney, D. Griffin, L. Boyle, J. McCarthy, C Barry, Kieran Kavanagh (0-1), E. Ryle, Kevin Kavanagh, B. Pope, D. Drake (1-1, 1f), E. Kavanagh, K. McIntyre (0-1), E Harrington (0-3), B. Coakley (0-1f) Subs: O'Barry for Pope, B. Ryan (0-1) for E. Kavanagh (both 1/2 time) C. Murphy for Coakley 38th A. Coughlan for Ryle 48th, S. Dwane for Kieran Kavanagh 52nd, N Quirke for McCarthy 54th

Referee: K. Murphy (Nemo Rangers)