| 12.2°C Dublin

Avondhu GAA: Kilshannig move a step closer to knock-out stage with win over Ballyhooly


Kilshannig moved a step closer to knock-out stages with a win over Ballyhooly Photo by Brendan Moran/Sportsfile

Kilshannig moved a step closer to knock-out stages with a win over Ballyhooly Photo by Brendan Moran/Sportsfile

Kilshannig moved a step closer to knock-out stages with a win over Ballyhooly Photo by Brendan Moran/Sportsfile



Kilshannig 1-19

Ballyhooly 0-18

Kilshannig moved a step closer to the knock-out stages when they overcame Ballyhooly in an entertaining encounter at Ballyhooly.

This is Cork Newsletter

Cork's essential reads in local news and sport, straight to your inbox every week

This field is required

The opening stages saw the winners certainly hit the ground running with Evan O'Sullivan (two), Jack Twomey (two), Diarmuid O'Sullivan and Kieran Twomey reeling off some fine points, while Eoin O'Sullivan was also on hand to finish the only goal of the game to the net that helped them hold a commanding 1-6 to 0-1 lead by the 14th minute.

Ballyhooly now faced an uphill battled. They regrouped well from this set back with Eoin Buckley, Barry Johnson and Diarmuid Linehan very effective for the rest of the half.

Points by Barry Johnson (four), Diarmuid Linehan, Darragh O'Reilly and Brian Lombard got them right back into contention when they trailed by 1-8 to 0-8 by the 26th minute.

In the closing moments both teams traded a late point by Evan O'Sullivan and Diarmuid Linehan that left a goal separating the teams at the short whistle 1-9 to 0-9.

The second half was keenly contested from the offset. Jack Kennefick got the scoring underway for the winners with Barry Johnson responding with a free for the home side in the 33rd minute.

Jack Twomey, Dan Roche, Kieran Twomey and Diarmuid Linehan landed some well taken points for their respective sides by the 43rd minute that still left a goal between the teams 1-12 to 0-12.

As the game went on Kilshannig shaded matters. Evan O'Sullivan, Jack and Kieran Twomey with points in quick succession opened up a six point lead. Ballyhooly battled back well and came very close to scoring a goal at the midway stage when good work by Dan Roche set up Darragh O'Reilly who was denied by a superb save by the Kilshannig keeper David Cronin at the expense of a point 1-15 to 0-13.

Kilshannig continued to find scores that bit easier to come by with Evan O'Sullivan (two), Kieran Twomey and Jack Kennefick adding points that stretched their lead to 1-18 to 0-14 by the 55th minute.

Ballyhooly battled to the end. Barry Johnson (two), Dan Roche and Diarmuid Linehan added late points, but it was not enough with Kilshannig emerging deserving winners.

KILSHANNIG: D Kearney, C Casey, J Cronin, D Guiney, K Twomey 0-5 (0-3f, 0-1 '65'), B Curtin, J Kearney, C Murphy, P Walsh, Evan O'Sullivan 0-7 (0-5f), Eoin O'Sullivan 1-1, J Twomey 0-3, J Kennefick 0-2, D O'Sullivan 0-1, S Lyons, Sub : C O'Sullivan for S Lyons,

BALLYHOOLY: S Murphy, J Gowen, E O'Reilly, M Burdett, J Roche, E Buckley, K Kiely, D O'Reilly 0-2, D Linehan 0-4, C Crowley, F O'Connell, D Kiely, B Lombard 0-1, B Johnson 0-9 (0-6f, 0-1 s/l), D Roche 0-1, Sub R Lombard for B Lombard

REFEREE: Dave O'Farrell (Mitchelstown)


Charleville 2-15

Ballyclough 1-6

Charleville were comprehensive winners over Ballyclough in the semi-final.

From the start the better balanced and physically stronger Rathluirc side got on top and they led all through. They had early points by Jack Doyle and Conor Buckley after good play by Danny Flynn. Damian Buckley replied from a 'mark'.

Further pressure saw Jack Callaghan fouled and the free by Jack Doyle found Danny Flynn who kicked over. James O'Brien added a point 0-4 to 0-1. Colm O'Neill saved very well from Simon Gleeson. Points for the winners by Jack Callaghan and Sean Buckley opened up a lead 0-7 to 0-1.

Shane Buckley placed Thomas O'Neill for a Ballyclough point. The winners on top in midfield created plenty scoring chances. Conor Buckley had a goal and points by Darren Casey and Jack Doyle opened up a lead 1- 9 to 0-2. In the closing moments a foul on Damian Buckley led to a pointed free by Thomas O'Neill as the winners led 1- 9 to 0-3 at half-time.

On the resumption Danny Flynn had two early points. Tadhg Healy pointed for Ballyclough after good play by Barry Morrissey. Jack Callaghan replied for the winners after good work by Danny Flynn. A point by Conor Buckley followed by a goal eased Charleville’s passage.

#Points by James O'Brien and Simon Gleeson made it 2- 13 to 0-4. Damian Buckley pointed off the keepers hands in the 48th minute. Both sides exchanged points with Barry Morrissey having a late goal for Ballyclough.

Charleville were short key players Mark Kavanagh, Jack Buckley, Tim Hawe and Darren Butler. Ballyclough were minus Jack O'Mahony, Peter Carroll Ronan Buckley and Adam Finnegan.

Charleville advanced to meet Killavullen in the final.

CHARLEVILLE: J Smith, M O'Flynn, J Kilcommons, B O'Connell, J Barry J Meade, J Doyle 0-3, S O'Sullivan, C Buckley 1-2, D Flynn 0-3, D Casey 0-1, S Gleeson 1-0, J O'Brien 0-2, J Callaghan 0-3 (0-1f), S Buckley 0-1 Subs: M Kavanagh for J O'Brien, J Kavanagh for S O'Sullivan R Barry for J Smith, S Buckley for D Casey

BALLYCLOUGH: C O'Neill, M O'Callaghan, M Buckley, K McDonnell, C Moynihan, S Buckley, D Ludgate, D Finnegan, B Morrissey 1-0, T Healy 0-1, T O'Neill 0-1f, S O'Leary, Aaron Finnegan, D Buckley 0-4 (0-1 'mark'), J Moynihan Subs: S Walsh for B Morrissey, D O'Sullivan for D Ludgate, B Morrissey for M Buckley, C Duffy for Aaron Finnegan

REFEREE: Colm Maher (Buttevant)