Friday 20 April 2018

Footballers stay on course in league

FERMOY'S Intermediate footballers remain on course to qualify for a play-off spot in the Cork Co Board's Division 2 League following their emphatic 2-15 to 1-7 victory over senior side in trouble St Vincent's of Cork City in a game played in Fitzgerald Park on Tuesday of last week.

This victory sets Fermoy up at the head of the League table with Eire Og in close pursuit.

Fermoy have three games left to play and one more win would probably be enough to see them safely through.

Looking at the first quarter of the game, St Vincent's who, incidentally are a senior side facing a relegation game v Doheny's in the near future, started this game very well and were 0-3 ahead after six minutes and it could have been double had their forwards been accurate enough.

It took the local side quite a while to settle into the game. Many scoring opportunities were missed before Padraig de Roiste settled the side with a point in the 12th minute.

Rory O'Hagan, who earlier missed a few chances, converted a free and this score was to set him up for a very good game after this.

Vincent's, who were playing against a strong wind, added another point to remain 0-2 ahead, were suddenly rocked when Rory O'Hagan beat three defenders before shooting past former Cork goalkeeper Paddy O'Shea to put Fermoy in front on a scoreline of 1-3 to 0-4 by the 27th minute. It was all Fermoy until the interval with points from Peter Murphy and Martin Brennan being followed by a further 1-1 from the boot of O'Hagan.

At the interval the home side led by 2-5 to 0-4 for the visitors.

The second half began much as the opening half had with the City side again, this time with the aid of the wind, in control in most sectors for the opening eight minutes and scoring 1-2 to reduce the arrears.

A succession of points from Ronan O'Callaghan (3) and O'Hagan eased Fermoy into a 2-9 to 1-6 lead entering the last quarter. St Vincent's, who never gave up, got a point back but the fitter looking home side finished in style.

Sub Arlen Ahern saw his unstoppable shot coming back off the cross-bar but he still earned a point for his team, Rory O'Hagan (2), Gary O'Callaghan, Kieran Morrison and O'Callaghan 0-1 each finished the scoring and referee James Bermingham brought the game to a close at 2-15 to 1-7 in favour of the local team.

The Fermoy team lined out: Ivan O'Callaghan, Eoin Clancy, Jeff Daly, Alan Baragry, Sean Shanahan, Darragh O'Callaghan, Peter Murphy 0-1, Gary O'Callaghan 0-1, Brian O'Sullivan, Martin Brennan 0-1, Padraigh de Roiste 0-1, Kieran Morrison 0-1, Jas Campion, Ronan O'Callaghan 0-4, Rory O'Hagan 2-5; subs used – Arlen Ahern 0-1, David Conran, Mark Flynn, John Ring, Adam Forde.

It was good to see David Conran back again after his arm injury in a junior game earlier in the year.

He will add another option to the selectors in their bid to get the best possible side out against Kanturk later in the month.

They will also be hoping that the injuries to Jack Hutchings, Padraigh Clancy, etc will have cleared up sufficiently by then also.