independent

Sunday 22 September 2019

Official opening of three new homes at Cuan Barra project

Dan Dineen (Finance Committee) Donal Mac Mánus (I.C.S.H.) Cllr Michael Looney (Deputy Mayor) Caitríona Ní Chéilleachair (Administrator) and Sean Kelleher (Committee) at the launch of three new homes at the Cuan Barra Project. Picture: Richard Coleman
Dan Dineen (Finance Committee) Donal Mac Mánus (I.C.S.H.) Cllr Michael Looney (Deputy Mayor) Caitríona Ní Chéilleachair (Administrator) and Sean Kelleher (Committee) at the launch of three new homes at the Cuan Barra Project. Picture: Richard Coleman

Twenty years and two million Euro after the development of housing for the elderly began in Béal Átha'n Ghaorthaidh, the latest phase in the Cuan Barra project was officially opened last week.

The latest phase of development, comprising three two bedroomed bungalows, brings to six the number of homes on the site adjacent to the local primary school in the gaeltacht village.

Speaking at the launch, Councillor Michael Looney, deputising for the Mayor of Cork, paid tribute to the committee who have pioneered the work, Coiste Tithe Uibh Laoire.

"These housing units enable older people to remain in their communities and are absolutely vital to rural Ireland," he said

"Housing is about being close to family and social networks and this partnership between Cork County Council and the Coiste Tithe Uibh Laoire Teo has been a great success in achieving this."

The Irish Council for Social Housing paid a key role in the initial set up of Coiste Tithe and has been on hand ever since with advice and support.

"These additional low energy and age-friendly bungalows, alongside the existing campus facilities and services, cater for the needs of both the local residents as well as the wider community," said ICSH chief executive Donal McManus.

"They really are the lynchpin around which the resilient community of Béal Átha'n Ghaorthaidh will thrive and prosper."

Cuan Barra includes a daycare centre and other facilities.

Corkman

News