Tuesday 16 July 2019

Murder on Bridge Street

Gardaí have footage of fatal stabbing but say suspect in investigation has fled to UK

Gardai examine the scene on Bridge St, Mallow on Friday morning after the death of Conor Quinn
Gardai examine the scene on Bridge St, Mallow on Friday morning after the death of Conor Quinn
Conor Quinn

Gardaí in North Cork investigating the murder of a 24-year-old man in Mallow last week have contacted police in the UK for assistance in trying to trace a suspect whom they believe is now in Britain after fleeing from Ireland.

Officers investigating the fatal stabbing of Conor Quinn in Mallow town centre on Thursday, July 12, had appealed to a 21-year-old local man to contact them and had made contact with people close to him in the hope that he would present himself to gardai for questioning.

Gardaí were confident from the feedback that they were getting from their contacts who were close to the young man that he was about to give himself up but they believe he panicked at the last moment and, with assistance, fled to the UK.

Gardaí were on alert at both airports and ports but they believe that the young man was smuggled out in the back of van that went on a ferry to the UK and they are now liaising through Interpol with British police in an attempt to locate him.

Meanwhile, gardaí say the investigation into the fatal stabbing of Mr Quinn on Bridge Street in Mallow at around 8.30pm on July 12 is progressing well with CCTV footage from premises around Mallow and footage from some dashcams proving of particular assistance.

Garda sources have confirmed that they have secured footage of the fatal assault where Mr Quinn pulls up on a car on Bridge Street and gets out of the car and approaches the suspect and a brief exchange takes place before Mr Quinn is stabbed and the suspect flees on foot.

Garda sources also revealed that they have secured footage of Mr Quinn then flagging down an ambulance which was driving along Bridge Street and taking off his shirt to show ambulance crew where he had been stabbed in the side before collapsing on the ground.

Mr Quinn was rushed to Cork University Hospital but he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival and a post-mortem by  Assistant State Pathologist, Dr Margaret Bolster revealed that he had  died from a single stab wound  to the abdomen.

Gardaí say that they are investigating all the circumstances surrounding the fatal stabbing of Mr Quinn, including a possible link to a row at Cahirmee Horse Fair at nearby Buttevant earlier in the day amid suggestions that Mr Quinn may have been seeking to meet with the suspect.

It's understood that CCTV footage from around Mallow town earlier on July 12 shows Mr Quinn being driven around in a car and emerging at various stages carrying a bar or bat and they are trying to establish if this was linked to the earlier row and Mr Quinn's subsequent stabbing.

A native of Loughrea in Co Galway, Mr Quinn had grown up and gone to school in Tipperary Town and more recently resided in Killavullen.

Mr Quinn, who is survived by his parents, Paul and Teresa, his brother Anthony, sister Sinead and partner Stephanie, will be buried in St Michael's Cemetery in Tipperary Town today following Requiem Mass.