independent

Wednesday 22 January 2020

Aldi lodges planning for a new store in Kanturk

Work also set to start on link road within coming weeks

Bill Browne

German discount giant Aldi is set to further expand its footprint in North Cork following the lodging of a planning application with Cork County Council for a new outlet in Kanturk.

The company - which already has stores in Mallow, Charleville, Fermoy and Mitchelstown - lodged the application for pre-validation just before Christmas, seeking permission to redevelop the former Keating's Bakery site on Percival Street. 

It makes provision for the demolition of the existing structures on the site, which has laid idle since the bakery, which had been operating in the town since the early part of the last century. It closed its doors in 2006 with the loss of almost 100 jobs. 

They will be replaced with a single-story retail outlet with a gross floor area of 1,785 sq metres, loading bay and an 84-space car park.

The application also provides for a new vehicle entrance from the existing lane-way off Percival Street and a new pedestrian walkway from the street, in addition to a planned new pedestrian entrance connecting directly to the proposed new Kanturk relief/link road. 

The company has said a Natura Impact Statement will be submitted to council planners with the planning application. 

The authority has set a date of Monday, February 3, for submissions in relation to the development, with a decision due on the application on or before Monday, February 24. 

News of the application has been warmly welcomed by local county councillor Bernard Moynihan (FF), who described the proposed development as "fantastic news" for the town. 

"It is great to see a prime site in the heart of the town being redeveloped," he said.

"Any development that will attract more people into the town has to be welcomed and will, I have no doubt, act as a catalyst to attract other new commercial interests into Kanturk.

"With the new first station, school and link road set to come on stream, the future looks very bright indeed for Kanturk." 

Cllr Moynihan said that he will be seeking a progress update from council officials on the link road at Friday's meeting of the authority's Mallow/Kanturk committee.  

Last November it emerged that funding of almost €620,000 had been allocated for the long-awaited project under the Rural Regeneration and Development Fund.

The road will cost just shy of €1 million to build, with Cork County Council making up the shortfall from its own coffers. 

Part 8 planning was granted for the project in May of 2017, and the land for the road has been purchased and fenced off by Cork County Council.

It will be located on the eastern end of the proposed access road to be constructed for the new school, adjacent to the Mill Road, and connect to the L5067 at Bluepool Upper.

Following the completion of a detailed design, the project will be put out to tender and a contractor appointed with a view to construction work commencing in the third quarter of this year. It is envisaged the road will be completed in the first quarter of  2021.  

"This road is vitally important in terms of freeing up traffic in the town centre and unlocking the true potential of Kanturk by attracting even more new businesses into the town," said Cllr Moynihan.

"I will be pushing to ensure that work begins on this vitally important project as soon as possible."

Corkman

News