independent

Monday 9 December 2019

€10m show is back in the saddle

MARIA HERLIHY MHERLIHY@CORKMAN.IE

THE absence of the sound of hooves at Millstreet Horse Show last August, after the show was cancelled, cost the region €10 million, according Green Glens owner Noel C Duggan, who has announced plans for a whole new show next year.

The 'man of steel' told The Corkman that it is "full steam ahead" for next year's show with the Green Glens commiting to reviving on eof the highlights of the showjumping year in Ireland.

Earlier this year a dispute between Noel C Duggan Ltd and Show jumping Ireland (SJII) led to the cancelling of the flagship summer show. Mr Duggan told The Corkman that, at the time, he "took a stand" but is proud to be able to bring the show back to his native town.

In 2008, the famous show brought 80-90,000 participants and spectators to Millstreet for a week in August. A staggering 10,000 horses and ponies entered various competitions, and there were 1,400 horses stabled per night at the Green Glens.

Despite the recession, Noel C is confident that numbers will remain high with news spreading fast that the show is back on track. He said at a minimum 250 people will be employed during the week of the horse show on August 9-15.

"This will be a massive spin off not only for Millstreet town but for B&Bs and the various bars in the region," he said.

"Millstreet Horse Show will have a domino effect for the entire region," he added.

News