Thursday 17 October 2019

Saints march on

Wicklow Cup: St Anthony's 3 Roundwood FC 0

Declan Roper of St Anthony’s is tracked by Roundwood’s Rob Byrne
Declan Roper of St Anthony’s is tracked by Roundwood’s Rob Byrne

Gavin Forde

St Anthony's cruise to the second round of the Wicklow Cup with a comfortable victory over Roundwood at Finns Park.

It was a tense first ten minutes at Finn Park, with neither side making a major effort to put pressure on their opponent's defence.

It looked like the game plan for both sides was to not take any risks in the opening ten minutes of the game and risk going a goal down.

Roundwood's midfield and striker duo of Darren Gibson and David Johnson were causing huge problems for the home side's defence as Johnson picked out the runs of Gibson on a number of occasions.

Gibson went close on the 17th minute when Johnson cut the 'Anto's' defence in half with a superb through ball but Gibson dragged his shot just wide of the post.

Roundwood did manage to hit the back of the net on the half hour mark as Glen Hughes beat St. Anthony's keeper Robbie McNamee before tapping into an empty net, but referee Micheal Kennedy blew for offside just as the ball crossed the line, a huge let off for the home side.

The home side started to take control of the game as they began to dominate possession with some great passages of play and it wasn't long before they took the lead through a goal from Larry Kenna.

The Roundwood defence had been under pressure for some time at the end of the half but right before half-time they switched off.

Phillip Doyle picked out Kenna from long range and Kenna made no mistake and slotted past the Roundwood keeper to make it 1-0 just on the stroke of half-time.

The hosts went out of the game early in the second half and gave chances for Roundwood to get an equalising goal.

Roundwood's Rob Byrne and Darren Gibson went close on a number of occasions but just couldn't find the back of the net.

The St. Anthony's manager looked to the bench to try and make some substitutions to see out the game and make the difference.

Patrick Woods and Cillian Thompson were introduced early in the second half and proved to be the difference in the game.

Woods made an instant impact as he grabbed the second goal of the game as he went one on one with keeper Scott Kenna, Kenna pulled off a great save but unfortunately he could only parry the ball back out to Woods, who bundled the ball over the line on the 57th minute.

The home side had a goal ruled out for offside on the 67th minute when Rob Byrne slotted the ball home after a great cross from Phillip Doyle, but again referee Michael Kennedy was eagle eyed and spotted that Byrne had drifted just offside before putting the ball into the back of the net.

Unfortunately Roundwood didn't use this stroke of luck as a warning of what was to come as they conceded another goal moments later after a great individual run from substitute Cillian Thompson.

Thompson gained possession just after the half way line before cutting outside to the left wing and whipping in a ball across goal for Patrick Woods who easily slotted the ball home.

The substitutions early in the second half by the St. Anthony's management proved to be a vital turning point in the game as Woods grabbed a brace and Thompson provided the assist for Woods' second goal.

Woods and Thompson will no doubt be asking to be in the starting 11 for their next fixture after their performance on Sunday.

A disappointing result for Roundwood who had their chances throughout the first half but just couldn't find the back of the net, but it's St. Anthony's who march on to the second round of the Wicklow Cup.

St Anthony's: 1. Robbie McNamee, 2. Charlie Maguire, 3. Declan Roper, 4. Stephen Hunt, 5. Darren Byrne, 6. Larry Kenna, 7. Emmet Kenna, 8. Dan Lacey, 9. Jordan Murray, 10. Darren Collopy, 11. Phillip Doyle. Subs: Patrick Woods for Darren Collopy (59min), Cillian Thompson for Jordan Murray (60min).

Roundwood AFC: 1. Scott Kenna, 2. David Kavanagh, 3. Ross Doonan, 4. Kenny Greene, 5. Brian Gallagher, 6. David Johnson, 7. Kevin Lynch, 8. Declan Carsairs, 9. Darren Gibson, 10. Rob Byrne, 11. Glen Hughes. Subs: John Murphy for Darren Gibson (81min), Dylan Graham for Glen Hughes (65min).

Referee: Michael Kennedy

Bray People