Monday 19 March 2018

Pat's prove too hot to handle for Carnew

St. Patrick's and Carnew faced off in their eagerly anticipated clash of the Senior football championship in Arklow on Sunday evening.

Like the first match in Arklow between Eire Og and Avondale it was a game that completely changed direction thanks to two quick goals from Pat's that put the game beyond Carnew's reach.

It's a game that won't go down as a classic though. Both sides went for long periods without scoring and both sides were particularly wasteful in front of goal.

Carnew made the brighter start to the game and registered their first score of the game with just 56 seconds gone, thanks to a Brendan McCrea point. That was quickly followed by a T.J Hennessy point and a free from McCrea, to put Carnew into a quick three-point lead.

St. Pat's first scoring chance came in 4th minute courtesy of a 45 that Padge McWalter sent wide. However Pat's first score was a goal in the 8th minute.

An excellent move from the middle of the field was finished in style by Richard Murphy, who blasted the ball past a helpless Ted Kennedy in the Carnew goal.

Pat's registered the next three scores of the game thanks to points from Stephen Duffy, Paul Earls and Johnny Delahunt, as the Wicklow men started to get a grip on the game.

It would take all off 11 minutes for the next score of the game to be registered.

Both sides were struggling to retain possession of the ball and were missing chances.

Brendan McCrea kicked a free in the 23rd minute before Ciaran Doyle kicked a good point for Pat's. Just five minutes later, they would score their second goal of the game and put it beyond Carnew's reach.

A good move was finished off well by Johnny Crowe, who fired the ball past Kennedy. Sean Kinsella got the next point for Carnew but Pat's got the next two scores of the game to go in with a seven-point lead at the break.

The second half was largely uneventful. Both sides missed chance after chance.

Pat's registered the first score two minutes after the restart when Delahunt kicked another point and that was followed by a point from Paul Earls.

Pat's were enjoying good spells with the ball but the were struggling to convert those chances in front of goal and they probably should have been further in-front.

Andrew Hughes kicked a good free in the 35th minute to keep Carnew in touch. It would take seven minutes for the next score of the game to be registered as both sides struggled to retain possession.

The next score of the game fell to Carnew's Enda Donahoe who kicked a good point. Pat's didn't register their next score of the game until the 46th minute.

Crowe had a goal scoring chance that went out for a 45 and Shane Doyle easily sent it over the bar. St. Pat's had plenty of good opportunity's to go further in front but they kept coming up short. A great ball from Padge McWalter put Brian Coen in for his first point of the game in the 52nd minute.

That was quickly followed by a good point from McCrea in the 54th minute. With five minutes to go Darragh O'Sullivan made a dangerous looking run towards goal but he was brought down and Coen pointed the resulting free.

The final score of the game would go to Pat's right at the death and the ran out comfortable 10-point winners.

It wasn't a bad start to the championship for Pat's. They enjoyed good periods of play and created a few decent scoring chances. They will need to improve as the championship progresses but it was a pleasing enough start for the Wicklow town side.

Scorers - St. Patrick's: David Murphy 1-0; Johnny Crowe 1-0; Shane Doyle 0-2; Paul Earls 0-2; Johnny Delahunt 0-2; Stephen Duffy 0-2; Dean Healy 0-1; Ciaran Doyle 0-1; Brain Coen 0-3.

Carnew: Brendan McCrea 0-3; Garry Doran 0-1; Enda Donohoe 0-1; Sean Kinsella 0-1; T.J Hennessy 0-1; Andrew Hughes 0-1.

Bray People