Monday 17 June 2019

Carnew too strong

IHC: Carnew Emmets 2-11 St Patrick's 0-9

St Pat’s full-forward George O’Brien gathers possession as Carnew’s Diarmuid Doran prepares to get to his feet. Photo: Joe Byrne
St Pat’s full-forward George O’Brien gathers possession as Carnew’s Diarmuid Doran prepares to get to his feet. Photo: Joe Byrne

Brendan Lawrence at Joule Park Aughrim

The dismissal of St Pat's centre forward Terry Healy in the opening minutes of this Intermediate hurling championship clash in Joule Park Aughrim on Sunday evening was to prove fatal for his side's chances against Carnew Emmets on a beautiful summer's evening.

Referee Jason Redmond saw no other option but to flash a red card at Healy after an incident with Carnew's Niall Osborne down in the corner on the bank side at the Rednagh Hill end and there were no complaints from the St Pat's side as the game got off to an unfortunate start.

That said, this encounter would go on to be a very entertaining battle, but the numerical advantage would prove fatal and Carnew's ability to score goals would eventually provide them with a cushion to ensure victory over Michael Neary's men.

For some time after the dismissal, Carnew's Liam Kennedy was deployed as the spare man on the 45 and this gave the Wexford border side a big boost in terms of clearing attacks and providing support for passes out of the defence.

Points for the very impressive Joseph Hughes and Ian Clancy, both who would have big bearings on this game, got Carnew off to a good start but the excellent John 'Greengrass' O'Brien, who scored some sublime points over the course of the hour, got St Pat's up and running and you knew that Carnew, numerical advantage or not, were not going to have it all their own way in this fixture.

After 12 minutes, Carnew's Niall Osborne had to retire due to the injury he picked up in that earlier incident and James Joyce took his place.

With 19 on the clock, referee Redmond spread his arms wide to signal a penalty and Ian Clancy stepped up and his strike found the back of the net desite the best efforts of Michael 'Notty' O'Brien in the Pat's goal. Carnew led by 1-2 to 0-1.

TJ Hennessy was looking very useful at full-forward and he opened his account immediately after the penalty and would add a second moments later following an Ian Clancy white flag as Carnew started to dominate the game in the second quarter.

Another two Ian Clancy scores, one directly from a Pats puck out, the other a classy score from out on the sideline, gave Carnew a massive advantage as Pat's moved full-forward George O'Brien out on to Liam Kennedy to try and give them a foothold in the game.

Conor Cox stopped the rot for Pat's with a lovely effort from out wide before they were knocked back on their heels when Joseph Hughes found the net after superb work from TJ Hennessy.

If Pat's needed a boost before the break, then no better man than John 'Greengrass' O'Brien to provide it. He drove over a humdinger from the middle of the field to send Michael Neary's men in trailing by 2-7 to 0-3.

Whatever was said at the break worked a treat for St Pat's as they emerged a different team. Robert Moffatt got them up and running with a point then drove wide from distance due to presure applied by Adam Hughes.

'Greengrass' drove over another missile from way out the field before Conor Fahy pointed a free and Pat's were right back into this game all of a sudden at 2-7 to 0-6.

Wides from both sides followed. Ian Clancy and Thomas Kennedy for Carnew and 'Greengrass' for Pat's were off target before a foul on the aforementioned 'Greengrass' by the hard-working Nick Skelton gave Conor Fahy a chance from a placed ball and the corner-forward didn't disappoint, 15 gone, Carnew 2-7, Pat's 0-7.

Carnew were a little spooked. Wides from Ian Clancy and TJ Hennessy arrived either side of another 'Greengrass' effort and when Kevin Coady split the posts after a stunning run from George 'Boo' O'Brien we were down to a four-point game with 19 gone.

The game swung at this stage. Carnew began to get on top again in key sectors. Paul Murphy pointed after 22 minutes, TJ Hennessy added another after good work from Murhy and then Ian Clancy sent over a heartbreaker after 25 to push Carnew back out to a 2-10 to 0-9 lead.

The last word would go to Joseph Hughes who put in a huge shift for the Intermediate side and he split the posts with a ripper to end the scoring on a final tally of 2-11 to 0-9.

Fine efforts from Thomas 'Snowy' Collins, Diarmuid Doran, Nick Skelton, Fionn Furlong, Adam Hughes, Joseph Hughes and TJ Hennessy on the Carnew side.

For Pat's, Dennis 'Ta' O'Brien, George 'Boo' O'Brien, Robert Moffatt, 'Greengrass' and Conor Fahy were all impressive on a day when a bad start and the inability to create goal chances would prove their undoing.

Scorers - Carnew Emmets: Ian Clancy 1-5 (p), Joseph Hughes 1-2, TJ Hennessy 0-3, Paul Murphy 0-1. St Patrick's: John 'Greengrass' O'Brien 0-3, Conor Fahy 0-2 (2f), Conor Cox 0-1, Robert Moffatt 0-1, Kevin Coady 0-1.

Carnew Emmets: Billy Molloy; Thomas Collins, Diarmuid Doran, Cian Moules; Niall Osborne, Liam Kennedy, Nick Skelton; Fionn Furlong, Adam Hughes; Justin House, Thomas Kennedy, Joseph Hughes; Paul Murphy, TJ Hennessy, Ian Clancy. Subs: James Joyce for N Osborne (inj).

St Patrick's: Michael 'Notty' O'Brien; Mick Moorehouse, Dennis 'Ta' O'Brien, John 'Da' O'Brien; Mickey Griffin, George 'Boo' OBrien, Brendan Cox, Robert Moffatt; Kevin Coady, Terry Healy, John 'Greengrass' O'Brien; Conor Cox, George O'Brien, Conor Fahy. Subs: Graham O'BRien for G O'Brien, George O'Brien for Mick Moorehouse.

Referee: Jason Redmond (ARP)

Bray People