Friday 20 April 2018

Man smashed 26 Dart windows in rampage

Smashed glass in one of the carriages after the incident on November 20, 2014
Smashed glass in one of the carriages after the incident on November 20, 2014

A man who smashed 26 windows on a Dart at Bray station had been robbed on the train, Wicklow Circuit Court was told last week.

Stephen Crosbie (34), a Shankill native with an address at Bentley House, Dun Laoghaire, was before Judge Michael O'Shea last Wednesday to be sentenced for criminal damage.

Garda Sean Liddy told the court that the incident occurred at Bray Dart Station on November 20, 2014.

Crosbie took two emergency hammers from the Dart and alighted from the train before smashing 26 windows across three carriages and the driver's cab.

He jumped onto the line with a hammer in his hand. Garda Liddy told the court that Irish Rail staff had to drag him off the line as it was a live line, meaning it had a signal clearing trains to travel.

Gardai attended the scene and looked at CCTV showing Crosbie with the hammer in his hand, walking along the platform smashing windows, and jumping down onto the line.

After the incident, the carriages and cab were all out of commission for repair. The court heard that the cost - including windows, labour, and loss of revenue - amounted to €17,950.

Crosbie was arrested and seen by a doctor who deemed him unfit for questioning until later in the evening.

When questioned later, Crosbie told gardaí that someone had taken his money and methadone. He said that he woke up on the Dart with his pockets open.

He told gardaí that when he asked the inspector to check the cameras and he refused, he 'flipped' and smashed the windows.

He said that he was glad the carriages were out of action, and 'they are all scumbags in that station'.

Crosbie told gardaí that he had given up feeling remorse. 'What's the point, it's a bad world out there,' he said.

Garda Liddy said that Crosbie has 102 previous convictions, including criminal damage, public order, possession of drugs, taking a bike, burglary and others.

Senior counsel Marie Torrens, acting for the defendant, said that her client has spent most of his life in jail.

She said that now, for the first time since he was a child, he is making progress regarding dealing with his problems and serious offending.

Crosbie's key-worker told the court that the defendant was a man who had had no guidance and issues at home as a young person.

He said that for the first time in his life, he has a plan going forward and supports in place.

Ms Torrens said that on the day of the offence, Crosbie had taken drink and drugs and was confused.

She said he did not have much recollection of events, but felt that the staff were being abusive towards him.

Judge Michael O'Shea said that Crosbie was intent in causing maximum damage to the train and was motivated by animosity and retribution due to his complaint not being dealt with in the manner he wished. He said it was an utterly outrageous and inappropriate reaction to the perceived slight.

The court heard that Crosbie is now almost drug clean, with the exception of the occasional small amount of cannabis.

Ms Torrens said that her client is seeing a drug counsellor.

Judge O'Shea imposed a sentence of two years and six months. He suspended the final 12 months, as well as a further 15 months to account for time spent in hospital, on the condition that he keep the peace.

Crosbie appealed to the judge, stating loudly: 'If I go back to prison I'll kill myself'.

Judge O'Shea said to Ms Torrens that her client was very fortunate, given the circumstances, and he might be better to 'stay quiet and take the bond'.

Bray People