Clubhouse floods after lead stolen
The members and officials of Shankill FC were devastated to discover last Saturday morning that their clubhouse had been flooded due to the theft of lead from the roof.
The lead was stolen from one side of the building. The cost of repairs will be at least €30,000, with further expenses for lighting and cameras which will not be covered by insurance.
Brendan Yates of Shankill FC said that it must have happened since leaves were cleared from the roof two weeks ago.
The water from heavy overnight rainfall gathered in the timber and came straight through and down the walls, causing immense damage.
The walls and electrical circuits were destroyed and the building is not in use.
There was no electricity, the toilets are out of use, as are the changing rooms as ceilings have collapsed, and plaster boards are water damaged. Brendan said that there is a knock-on effect not just for Shankill FC but the whole community. Rathmichael Shankill FC also use the facility, as well as a cricket team, baseball team, and the weekly park-run. Woodbrook College and other schools have use of the facility, as well as Shankill GAA for annual camps, and a range of other groups and organisations.
A main contractor will oversee works and Mr Yates urges local contractors to participate in the tender process. Email email@example.com. There will be a fundraising pub quiz at Brady's on Thursday, October 25. Admission is €40 per team of four. There will be a raffle and auction. Paul Scholes, who was in Bray last week, has donated a signed football boot.
Electrician Wayne Daly was able to get the astro pitch lights working again, free of charge, so the training is back up and running. The club was inundated with offers of voluntary help, including tradesmen DW Roofing and Keith O'Brien.
Gardaí are investigating the theft and are asking anyone who saw any suspicious activity in recent weeks to come forward.
Brendan said that the clubhouse is in use all day long, up to 10.30 p.m., so the crime must have been committed late at night.