Friday 24 November 2017

Never-say-die Seatown rescue a draw in thriller

SEATOWN and Tolka Rovers served up an eight goal thriller in Oriel Park on Saturday afternoon in the Dublin AUL under 19 league.

Seatown were trailing 3-4 to their more fancied opponents in the closing stages and Tolka Rovers had two good opportunities to increase their lead but the hosts managed to stage a remarkable comeback, going on to net an equaliser and nearly scoring a winner in the final minutes.

Seatown got off to a brilliant start and led 2-0 after twenty minutes with two goals from Jeffery Ekwueme. His first strike was a close range effort on twelve minutes but his second was a cracking drive from the edge of the penalty area after good work from Tunde Adegboye.

The Dublin side reduced the deficit in the 26th minute with a superb free kick and they drew level at 2-2 on 29 minutes.

Seatown went back in front 3-2 shortly after the interval when Michael Osadebe set up Olly Hamzat, the Seatown striker did well to hold off the challenge of two Tolka defenders to fire the ball to the far corner of the net.

A determined response saw the away side grab two goals to go 3-4 ahead and really they should have increased their lead as Seatown suffered a dip in form after the interval, but all was well in the end as they redeemed themselves with just seven minutes left in the game.

James Stewart's persistence in midfield paid off and his clever pass found Olly Hamzat lurking on the outskirts of the Tolka penalty area. The Seatown striker's shot took a deflection off the Tolka 'keeper but the ball ended up in the back of the net for the equaliser.

Hamzat then had a glorious opportunity to score the winner but this time his shot went straight into the arms of the grateful Tolka Rovers 'keeper.

Seatown: David McKenny, David Asare, Rian Hand, Ola Olajubu, Denys Cholach, Eimhin Caldwell, James Stewart, Michael Osadebe, Tunde Adegboye, Olly Hamzat and Jeffery Ekwueme.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links