Wednesday 16 October 2019

Lilywhites sink Saints in cup

St Patrick's Ath 1 Dundalk 2

The EA Sports Cup was the first trophy won by Stephen Kenny during his tenure at Oriel Park and Vinny Perth's hopes of replicating his mentor remain very much alive after Dundalk booked their place in the quarter-finals of the competition with victory away to St Patrick's Athletic last Monday night.

Daniel Cleary was the only survivor from the side which had beaten Cork City three days earlier as Perth shuffled his pack against a strong Pat's side.

Dundalk got off to a dream start on the night when Georgie Kelly capitalised on an error by Dave Webster to race clear of the Pat's defence. His effort was initially saved by goalkeeper Barry Murphy but spun up and over the goalkeeper to creep across the line.

The visitors went close to a second when a downward header by Jordan Flores had to be clawed away by Murphy on 10 minutes with the former Wigan midfielder also going close with a shot that went just wide.

Pat's then equalised in the 13th minute when James Doona's shot from the left deflected past Aaron McCarey off the unlucky Dylan Hand.

McCarey did well to turn a vicious strike from Conor Clifford around the post on 22 minutes before Dundalk retook the lead on 34 minutes. Flores was on corner duty this time with his delivery from the right headed in at the near post by Dean Jarvis for what was his first Dundalk goal.

Dundalk went close to a third before the break when a superb ball from Lido Lotefa looked to have played Kelly in but Lee Desmond did well to get across to avert the danger just as he was about to pull the trigger.

There were few chances in the second half with Cleary blocking from Simon Madden to deny Pat's a chance of an equaliser just after the hour mark.

Dundalk then went close to a third on 71 minutes when a superb ball by Flores slipped Daniel Kelly in. He hit it first time but Murphy got a touch on it to help it onto the post.

Mikey Drennan had a late chance from a free kick to force extra time but flashed it just wide of the left hand post as Dundalk held out to advance to the last eight.

St Patrick's Athletic: Murphy; Madden, Webster, Desmond, Kelly (Bermingham 80); Coleman, Clifford; Doona, Markey (Drennan 74), Clarke (Forrester HT); Shaw. Subs not used: Clarke, Lennon, McCabe, Walker.

Dundalk: McCarey; Dummigan, Hand, Cleary; Jarvis; Mountney, McKee; Lotefa (Gannon 76), Flores (Massey 87), Hanratty (D Kelly 62), G Kelly. Subs not used: Treacy, Gartland, Hoban, Lee.

Referee: Rob Harvey (Dublin).

The Argus