Tuesday 20 February 2018

Browne's boys see off a late rally from Rovers to net points

DUNDALK Youths survived a late rally by Shamrock Rovers to land three valuable DDSL Super League points on Sunday, as their big FAI Cup last-16 clash in Tipperary looms on the horizon.

After missing an early chance Scott Craven redeemed himself with a brilliant strike from 20 yards that gave the Rovers keeper no chance and opened the scoring.

With goalkeeper Johnny Connolly very quiet at one end, Manny Kaguako and Ryan Duffy combined at the other to brilliantly to set up Ciaran O'Connor but he shot wide from just inside the area. Roy Kierans also fired over with a free-kick from just outside the box.

A second goal came just before the break through Conor McGill. O'Connor recieved the ball and picked out Duffy who fired a shot in which seemed destined for the corner but the keeper somehow managed to keep it out, but McGill followed up and bundled it in from eight yards.

On 55 minutes, Dundalk had a goal harshly ruled out for offside as McGill played a brilliant pass over the left-back into the path of Davies who played in O'Connor who was just offside. The Rovers keeper then had a scare as he almost dropped Kevin Nolan's cross into his own net.

Paul Finnegan was the next Dundalk player to be judged offside after Kierans and O'Connor combined well to find the centre-half. McGill went close and with nine minutes remaining Dundalk went even closer with Davies and O'Connor linking up.

Dundalk nearly paid the price as Rovers pulled a goal back with an oustanding effort from 35 yards that left Connolly with no chance, but Alan Browne's side held on to move up to sixth in the table and put a seven-point gap between them and the Hoops.

Dundalk Youths: Johnny Connolly, Manny Kaguako, Paul Finnegan, Cillian Mulligan, Roy Kierans, Barry Davies, Kevin Nolan, Ryan Duffy, Scott Craven (Stephen McQuillan), Conor McGill (Glen Farrell), Ciaran O'Connorr (Gavin Gaffney).

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links