Monday 22 January 2018

Wait is worth it for Sean McDermott's

Group A


SEAN McDermotts were the last of the Louth clubs to get their season underway but it proved to be a worthwhile wait as they scored a three-point win over St Kevins on Thursday night.

The Mountrush side started the game with just 14 players and not surprisingly it was the Kevins who had slightly the better of proceedings. However, a goal from Danny Reilly edged the Seans in front at the break by 1-3 to 0-5.

The arrival of Ciaran McMahon brought the Seans up to 15 players and that helped his side gain control. Goals from Kevin Carroll and Kevin McMahon (penalty) ensured victory for the McDermotts with the Kevins goal coming from the boot of Sean Crosbie.

SEAN MCDERMOTTS: David Brennan; Brian Melia, Sean McMahon, Danny Cummins; David O'Neill 0-2, Emmet Duffy 0-1, Ian Corbally; Mark McEneaney 0-1, David McArdle; Kevin McMahon 1-2, Kevin Carroll 1-0, Danny Reilly 1-0; Ciaran McMahon, Brendan McGahon, PJ Duffy.

ST KEVINS: Conor Callan; Stephen Matthews, Howard Treadwell, Mark McGahon; Sean Callan, David Smith, Conor King; Sean Crosbie 1-3, Andrew Campbell; Darren McMullen 0-1, Aidan Craven, Conor McCullough 0-1; Thomas Gregory, Liam Boylan 0-3, Kyle Murphy 0-1. Paudie Boylan for C King, Ciaran Boylan for K Murphy.


WESTERNS recorded a third victory in Group A of the Kevin Mullen Shield when they saw off the challenge of St Nicholas at Darver on Friday night.

The game almost began with a goal for the Nicks only to be denied by a great Johnny Brennan save, before they edged into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead, with the help of two Ciaran Campbell frees.

Brian Martin added a point before the impressive Sean McGuinness ran through to score the opening goal of the game. The Nicks battled to get back into the game but the Reaghstown men finished the half with five points to lead by 1-8 to 0-3 at the break.

The Nicks raised their game after the break but the Westerns were always in control and sealed a good win when sub Benny Curtis marked his debut with a goal near the end.

WESTERNS: Jonathan Brennan; Andy Murray, James Ward, John Murray; Sean McGuinness 1-2, Ciaran Scriven, Stephen Boylan 0-1; Gerard Curtis 0-1, Anthony Durnin 0-1; Brian Martin 0-2, Trevor Baylon 0-2, Aidan McGarrell; Ciaran Campbell 0-3, Conor Kerr, John Lynch. Subs: Colin Martin for C Scriven, Michael Martin for A Murray, Seamus Peppard for B Martin, Niall Moynagh for C Kerr, Brendan Curtis 1-0 for J Lynch, Justin Nevin for Aidan McGarrell.

Group B


GLEN Emmets maintained their 100% record in Group B as they outclassed a Lannleire side short a number of senior players in Cusack Park on Sunday morning.

A physically stronger and fitter Glen Emmets team started well despite playing against a stiff breeze in the opening half. Conor Grimes got the Tullyallen outfit on the scoreboard with a well executed point before Keith Rooney doubled their lead soon afterwards.

Alan Murphy reduced the arrears with a well taken free before Carlos Lambe levelled matters with a long range point. Just as the Dunleer side were beginning to take advantage of the strong wind at their backs they were dealt a blow when full forward Sean Kerr ghosted past the opposition defence to score the opening goal of the game. That goal left the scores 1-3 to 0-4 at the break.

Despite battling bravely throughout the second half Lannleire struggled to cope with the wind and found scores hard to come by. Glen Emmets were in control all over the pitch and they established a five point cushion thanks to Keith Rooney's fourth point and a beautiful Ian Cusack effort.

Conor Grimes late point sealed a seven point win for the home side who made it four wins from four games as they sit proudly on top of Group B this evening.

GLEN EMMETS: Liam O'Connor; Stephen Healy, Andrew Mooney, Robert Byrne; Danny Whyte, Keith Boylan, Jamie Farnan; Eamonn Mullen (0-1), Sean Byrne; Tom Grimes, Keith Lynch (0-1), Conor Grimes (0-2); Keith Rooney (0-4), Sean Kerr (1-0), Ian Cusack (0-1). Subs: Mark Noone (0-1) for S Kerr, Damien Grimes for K Lynch, Niall Hackett for K Boylan.

LANNLEIRE: Lee Smith; Paul Doyle, John King, Justin McCarville; Brendan McEvoy, Andrew Flanagan, Craig Devlin; Ciaran Kearney, Ian Mulroy; John McGeough, Carlos Lambe 0-2 , Gary Monaghan; Alan Murphy 0-3, Mark Dunne 0-1, Stephen Callan. Subs: James Torris for J McGeough, Alan Kealy for M Dunne, Ben Holdcroft for J Torris.


NAOMH Fionnbarra remain very much in contention for a semi-final spot following a comfortable win over Naomh Malachi on Sunday morning.

The Barrs got on top in the early stages and were never really threatened.

The winners made their mark in the first half with a goal from William Woods as his side went on to lead by 1-7 to 0-4 at the break.

Woods added another after the break while Jack Butterly also weighed in with a three-pointer to secure victory. The Malachis battled until the end and were rewarded with a goal from a Jason Clarke penalty.

NAOMH FIONNBARRA: Allan Matthews; Hugh Osborne, Kieran Lenehan, Hugh McGrane; Bryan Sharkey, Oisin McGee, Conor Osborne; Darren McConnon 0-1, David Woods; Martin Murphy 0-1, Jack Butterly 1-0, John Dolan; Padraig Butterly 0-2, William Woods 2-6, Colm McCullough. Subs: Colin McGrane, John Doylem Chris McGlynn, Nicholas Butterly.

NAOMH MALACHI: David Rogers; Sean Gogarty, Sean Smith, Conor Gonnelly; Stephen Burns, Peter McShane, David Begley; Eamonn Agnew, Peirce Caherty; Donal Begley, Jason Clarke 1-4, Jamie Kelly; Niall Dowdall, Ronan McElroy 0-1, Padraig Moley. Subs: Colin Rooney for N Dowdall, Mark Meegan for D Begley, Shane Rogers for P Moley, Shane Roddy for M Meegan.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links