Monday 23 October 2017

Seans consolidate O'Donnell Cup spot

Sean O'Mahonys 1-6 Kilkerley Emmets 1-3

SEAN O'Mahonys consolidated their position in second place after coming from behind at the break to defeat Kilkerley in a game played in difficult conditions at the Point Road on Sunday morning.

The defeat was a setback in Kilkerley's attempts to make the play-offs and they look to be further hampered for the remaining games of the season after Cathal Bellew picked up a serious-looking ankle injury. The midfielder was injured in the second half and after a lengthy hold-up was taken away by ambulance.

The O'Mahonys were reduced to 14 men after just ten minutes and Kilkerley took advantage when a goal from a Shane Lennon penalty helped them to lead by 1-2 to 0-3 at the break.

Within two minutes of the restart the Seans found the net through Stephen Fisher to take the lead and then kicked three unanswered points to take control of the game.

Kilkerley's only reply in the second half came from a Shane Lennon point two minutes from time.

SEAN O'MAHONYS: Benny Traynor; Alan Watters, Peter Nixon, Liam Dullaghan; Conor Finegan 0-2, Keith McLaughlin, Shane Brennan; Conor Crawley, Andrew Nixon; Johnny Connolly, David Crawley, John O'Brien 0-1; Stephen Fisher 1-1, Stephen Kilcoyne 0-2, Liam McCarthy. Subs: Conor Martin for A Nixon, Niall McLaughlin for S Kilcoyne, Brendan Nordon for J Connolly.

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Cillian Quigley; Ronan Lennon, Niall Mulholland, Cormac Bellew; Sean Doherty, Fintan Clarke, Alan McGeough; Ciaran Quigley, Cathal Bellew; Donal McElroy, Ciaran Bellew, Niall Lennon; Raymond Mulholland, Shane Lennon, Sean McElroy. Subs: Sean Hand for S Doherty, Daniel McKeown for R Mulholland, Andrew McGuill for Cathal Bellew.



DREADNOTS moved ahead of the O Raghallaighs in the Division 1 table thanks to victory at a wet and windy Clogherhead on Sunday morning.

A 16-point winning margin may have flattered the Dreadnots but it was their ability to make the most of their goal chances that proved the difference between the teams.

Despite playing into the wind, the O Raghallaighs got off the mark through Ruairi Moore but the Dreadnots hit back with a goal from Luke Judge. Just before the break, David O'Brien got in for a second to make it 2-7 to 0-4 at half time.

Two goals inside eight minutes from Pepe Smith effectively ended the game as a contest and Dreadnots held out for a comfortable win.

DREADNOTS: Ciaran Cunningham; Brian Grogan, Derek Shevlin, Dermot Campbell; Anthony Williams, Padaig Rath, David O'Brien 1-0; James Califf, Liam Shevlin; Pat Lynch, Cian McEvoy, Pepe Smith 2-0; Barry Faulkner, Richard Kirwan, Luke Judge 1-0.

O RAGHALLAIGHS: Joe Flanagan; Stephen Murphy 0-1, Graham Leech, James Morgan; Eoghan Moore, Johnny Clerkin, James Moonan; Ciaran Brasill, Robert Mulroy; Andrew Rogan, Chris Smith 0-1, Ruairi Moore 0-2; Ben Rogan 0-4, Dav Finegan, Joe Rogan.

The Argus