Sunday 19 November 2017

Pat's cruise past Kilkerley to set up big derby decider

IT was so comfortable Fergal Reel didn't even need to hang about for the final whistle.

With just over five minutes remaining the Armagh native departed to take in some of his home club Silverbridge's Minor Championship succees at the Athletic Grounds, safe in the knowledge that his adopted team had long since sealed their passage to the Cardinal O'Donnell Cup final by that stage.

In a clash every bit as one-sided as the Championship encounter between the sides this summer, the reigning champions were on top from start to finish and always looked a safe bet to hold up their end in the anticipated all-Peninsula derby decider with Cooley Kickhams.

Kilkerley did draw first blood at Pairc Eamon as Niall Lennon accepted a Shane Lennon lay-off to fire over, but he would turn out to be the only Kilkerley player other the Louth full-forward to trouble the scoreboard operator on the day.

A familiar pattern soon developed as Paudie Mallon levelled things up and Aidan McCann passed up a decent goal chance.

The wing forward made amends minutes later with a point, but it wasn't until the second quarter that Pat's really hit top gear.

Paddy Keenan kicked off the surge with a free, before McCann made no mistake with another goal chance on the quarter-hour mark to make it 1-3 to 0-1.

Further scores from Karl White, Daniel O'Connor and Eamon Carroll really put the home side in control.

Shane Lennon responded for Kilkerley there was already an inevitably about the proceedings and Daniel O'Connor restored pat's eight-point cushion with a superb win and point just before the break to make it 1-7 to 0-2.

Defender Darren O'Hanlon soon extended Pat's cushion to nine after the restart, putting paid to any hopes of a Kilkerley revival.

The gap was out to 11 points as Karl White and Keenan each doubled their tallies, prompting Reel to empty his bench.

With Pat's losing a bit of focus as a reult, Lennon kicked Kilkerley's third point of the afternoon, but it was only a brief reprieve and although he added two more before the finish, it was all consolation stuff at that stage.

Pat's had long since pulled up to a trot and Reel didn't even have to hang about for the pleasantries.

ST PATRICKS: Barry Corcoran; Kevin Toner, Dessie Finnegan, Ross Murphy; Eoghan Lafferty, Darren O'Hanlon 0-1, Owen Zamboglou; Paddy Keenan 0-3, Paudie Mallon 0-1; Eoin O'Connor, Karl White 0-3, Aidan McCann 1-1; Eamon Carroll 0-2, Martin Breen, Daniel O'Connor 0-2. Subs: Colin Goss for P Mallon (41); Evan White for O Zamboglou (44); Thomas McCann for R Murphy (49); Conor Grogan 0-1 for M Breen (49); Stephen Toner for A McCann (50).

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Cillian Quigley; Cormac Bellew, Niall Mulholland, Brian Gernon; Ronan Lennon, Alan McGeough, Sean Doherty; Ciaran Quigley, Donal McElroy; Sean McElroy, Niall Lennon 0-1, Ciaran Bellew; Sean Hand, Shane Lennon 0-4, Daniel McKeown. Subs: Andrew McGuill for Ciaran Bellew (9), Fintan Clarke for A McGuill (ht); Emmet Hughes for N Lennon (44), Ray Mulholland for D McKeown (45), Conall McEneaney for Cormac Bellew (46).

REFEREE: Patsy Connolly.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links