Sunday 19 November 2017

Mattock bounce back to see off Kilkerley




MATTOCK Rangers bounced back from their Thursday night defeat to Clan na Gael when they secured both points at home to Kilkerley on Saturday evening.

The Collon men did the damage in an impressive second half when they pulled away from their opponents with a series of well-taken scores.

The opening period produced a good contest and although Mattock had the slight edge, scores from Conall McEnteggart kept Kilkerley in touch when trailing by just 0-7 to 0-5.

The visitors were unable to maintain that effort in the second period and Rangers gradually pulled away with David Reid pouncing to score the only goal of the game and settle the issue.

MATTOCK RANGERS: Timmy Smyth; Colm McCarthy, David Brennan, Sean Gilsenan; Thomas Murphy, Podge Bannon, Terry Donegan 0-2; Ryan Leneghan 0-1, Christy Grimes 0-5; David Reid 1-5, Greg Monaghan 0-1, Ben Watters; Ruairi Hickey, Robbie Brennan, Niall Sharkey. Subs: Conor Leneghan for N Sharkey, David Carson for C McCarthy, Jack Roddy 0-1 for B Watters, Dylan Martin for R Hickey.

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Cillian Quigley; Darragh McCarthy, Cormac Bellew, Padraig McGeough; Ronan Lennon, Alan McGeough, Sean Doherty; Kieran Quigley, Shaun McElroy; Niall Lennon, Conall McEneaney 0-5, Ciaran Bellew; Ray Mulholland 0-1, Andrew McGuill 0-1, Danny McKeown. Subs: James Bellew for S Doherty, Shane Doran for R Lennon, Eamonn Kelly for C Bellew, Ryan Hand for A McGuill.



FREE-SCORING Clans made it four wins and 13 goals from their opening four Paddy Sheelan Cup matches as they swept aside a disappointing Glyde team.

The Clans have started the season in great form and they continued that early on in the first half as they raced into a nine-point lead early on. Mark McGeown, Mark Newell and Billy Smith were amongst the scorers as Glyde struggled to get into the game.

Trevor O'Brien finally got Glyde on the score-sheet with a well taken point to reduce the Clans lead to eight points half way through the opening half. However, things soon got worse for the Tallanstown men just two minutes later when Mark Newell reacted quickly to stroke the ball past Shane Sharkey for the games opening goal.

Both sides traded points in the final few minutes of the half with Mark McGeown's third point of the game sending the Clans in 1-12 to 0-3 ahead at the break.

Glyde needed to come out of the blocks quickly if they were to mount any sort of challenge in this game and to their credit they started the second half brightly with two early scores to leave ten points between the sides. Unfortunately for Glyde supporters that was to be as good as it got for their side as Clans put this game to bed with two goals in five minutes to seal victory.

The first of those two goals came from the boot of Paul Martin which was quickly followed by a neat finish from substitute Conall McKeever to send the Clans 16 points clear.

Those two goals ended this game as a contest with the last ten minutes of the game seeing the sides trading points.

CLAN NA GAEL: Sean Smith; Paul Gartland, Robbie Curran, Keith Cunningham; Stephen Fitzpatrick 0-2, Gary Hoey, Conall Cooney 0-1; Ray McCabe, Brendan Begley 0-1; Conor Noonan, Paul Gore 0-1, Mark Newell 1-3; Paul Martin 1-0, Billy Smith 0-2, Mark McGeown 0-5. Subs: Conall McKeever 1-0 for M Newell, Stephen Hutchinson 0-1 for P Martin, Donal Boyle for P Gartland, Leo Martin for CNCooney, Kevin Carroll for M McGeown, Craig Long for G Hoey.

GLYDE RANGERS: Shane Sharkey; Alan Brennan, Conor Sheridan, Peter Duffy; Mark O'Brien, Ciaran Sheridan 0-2, Dylan Lynam; Sean McCoy, Cein Sheridan; Stephen Sharkey, Trevor O'Brien 0-2, Jake Stewart 0-1; Fam Varga 0-1, Barry Sharkey 0-1, Martin O'Connor. Subs: Stephen Carroll for S Sharkey, Conor Daly for Cein Sheridan, James Daly for M O'Connor, Jason Dullaghan for B Sharkey.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links