Sunday 25 February 2018

Mairtin's halt Cooley's perfect start



NAOMH Mairtin inflicted a first defeat of the season on Cooley Kickhams and in the process moved to the top of Group A on Thursday night.

The game at Monasterboice proved to be an entertaining affair but it was the home side who held out despite a late rally from the Kickhams.

After Carl Courtney and Patrick McGrath traded points in the opening two minutes, the Mairtins grabbed when proved to be the decisive score on five minutes when Brian Berrill scored the only goal of the game.

As the teams reached the interval that remained the difference as the hosts went in leading by 1-4 to 0-4.

The teams continued to trade scores in the second half and when Rory Brodigan pointed in the 55th minute his team were on course as they led by 1-8 to 0-8. Cooley rallied with points from Patrick Sheelan and Aoghain McGuinness but it was too late to save the game.

COOLEY KICKHAMS: Simon Dullaghan; Antoin Watters, Keith White, PJ McGivern; David Reilly, Darren Marks 0-1, Patrick McGrath 0-1; Richard Brennan, MJ Hanlon 0-1; Gerry Malone 0-1, Michael Rafferty 0-3, Aoghain McGuinness 0-2; Sean McDonald, Sean Donnelly, Alan Page. Subs: Patrick Sheelan 0-1 for Sean McDonald, Ronan Hanlon for MJ Hanlon.

NAOMH MAIRTIN: Jamie Byrne; Kelvin Finnegan, Patrick Sullivan, Eamon McQuillan; Thomas Sullivan, Mick Fanning, Eoin Wright; Carl Courtney 0-1,Gavin Mooney; Karl Martin, Nicky McDonnell, Paul Berill; Rory Brodigan 0-5, Brian Berrill 1-1, Brian McQuillan. Subs: Kenneth Lambe 0-1, Barry Sullivan, Brendan Reilly


HUNTERSTOWN Rovers withstood a late St Mochtas comeback to make it three wins in a row as they joined Naomh Mairtin and Cooley at the top of Group A.

Despite the early start Hunterstown looked wide awake early on as they blitzed the Louth Village side with three goals in the opening ten minutes. Brendan Lennon gave the home side the ideal start as he raced through the Mochtas defence before calmly side footing home for the game's opening goal.

Worse was to come for St Mochtas as Paul Carrie and David Finn's well taken goals made it 3-1 to 0-1 half-way through the opening period. The Mochtas were on the end of a five goal hammering against the Mairtin's last week and their supporters must have feared a similar result was on the cards today after that dreadful start.

However to their credit the Louth Village men rolled up their sleeves and gradually got a foothold in the game thanks to the boot of Eamon O'Neill's three points in as many minutes. Nigel Farrell's point just before the interval left the scoreboard reading 3-3 to 0-7.

Hunterstown seemed to have put this game to bed midway through the second half when Alan Landy burst through to score his side's fourth goal of what was an enjoyable game.

However the Mochtas responded well and they got a goal of their own two minutes later when Nigel Farrell finished with aplomb to reduce the deficit to four points once more. Eamon O'Neill's ninth point of the day left just two between the sides late on but that proved to be the final action of an exciting game in which Hunterstown did enough to claim their third win on the trot.

HUNTERSTOWN: Niall Carrie; Shane Dowdall, Paul Taaffe, Ciaran Carrie; Brian Matthews, Keith Brennan, Richard Cunningham; Tony McKenna, Conor Matthews; Maurice O'Sullivan, Richard Taaffe 0-2, David Finn 1-0; Brendan Lennon 1-2, Paul Carrie 1-3, Alan Landy 1-2. Subs: Robert Clarke for M O'Sullivan, Colm McKenna for D Finn, Stuart Callan for B Matthews.

ST MOCHTAS: Conor Ryan; Donal Gernon, Conor Lynch, Paul Marron; Andy English 0-1, Gary Connolly, Cormac Callan; Gareth O'Reilly 0-1, Shane McMahon 0-1; Liam McGranaghan, Eamon O'Neill 0-9, Brendan Duff 0-1; Philly Englishby, Nigel Farrell 1-2, Danny Kindlon 0-1. Subs: Colin Hoey for B Duff, Tommy Kindlon for C Callan and James Sweeney for D Kindlon.


ST PATRICK'S picked up their second win of the Paddy Sheelan Cup when they proved too strong for Young Irelands in this Group A encounter at Lordship.

A goal in either half proved the difference between the teams as the home side came out on top by five points.

The Pats set the pace opening and scored a goal from Eoghan Lafferty in the opening minutes. The Ireland's held their own for the most part in the middle of the field in a closely contested first half. Playing with the aid of a strong breeze the home side had edged forward by four points come half time, 1-4 to 0-3.

The Irelands however upped the tempo of things considerably in the second half, assisted by some accurate free taking from Dermot Mone and the hard work of Mark Savage helped their side get back into the game.

However a second goal from Evan White helped the Pats stretch the lead left the Ireland's with an uphill battle and in spite of some impressive football it was a gap which in the end proved too wide.

ST PATRICKS: Sean Connor; Jamie O'Hare, Kevin Toner, Patrick Kirk; Kevin White, Colin Goss, Eoghan Lafferty 1-1; Thomas McCann, Eamonn Breen; Aidan McCann 0-1, Karl White 0-4, Evan White 1-0; Stephen Toner, Darren O'Hanlon, Conor Grogan. Subs: Joe McCann for S Toner, Ciaran McCann for C Grogan.

YOUNG IRELANDS: Fergal Sheehy; Jason Mulligan, Ciaran Muray, Robbie Farrell; Cian O Naraigh, Aaron Rogers, Shane O'Connell; Sean McLaughlin, Simon Flynn; Jordan O'Donoghue 0-2, Andrew Nixon 0-1, Nicholas O'Connor; Dermot Mone 0-3, Mark Savage 0-1, Michael Shields. Subs: Paddy Mone for D Mone, Alan Hanks for R Farrell, Alan Minto for M Shields.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links