Tuesday 21 November 2017

Four-midable Finbarr's take over at the top of Division 3

NAOMH FIONNBARRA came good in the second half to see off the challenge of Lannleire and maintain their title charge.


Led by the impressive Carlos Lambe, Lannleire picked off some good first-half points but goals from a William Woods penalty and Conor Osborne had the Barrs leading by 2-5 to 0-9 at the break.

The Finbarrs then took control of the game with a couple of points just after the break and a Ryan Woods goal to open up an eight points advantage.

The result was never in doubt after that and Stuart Osborne hit the net to put the seal on the victory.

NAOMH FIONNBARRA: Allan Matthews; Kieran Lenihan, James Butterly, Bryan Sharkey; Nicholas Butterly, John Doyle, Padraig Butterly 0-1; Gary Matthews, Mark Butterly, Stuart Osborne 1-2; Andy McCann, Darren McConnon 0-1; Conor Osborne 1-0, William Woods 1-4, Ryan Woods 1-0. Subs: Ciaran Murphy 0-2 for J Doyle, Martin O'Neill 0-1 for W Woods, Shane Fanning for M Butterly, Conor Lenihan for K Butterly, Martin Murphy for C Osborne.

LANNLEIRE: Gerard Matthews; John King, Brendan McEvoy, Thomas Doyle; Darragh Goodman, Donal Clare 0-1, Andrew Dowd; Craig Devlin, Ciaran Kearney; Lee Smith 0-1, Ian Mulroy, Alan Murphy 0-4; Cillian Reynolds, Carlos Lambe 0-7, Alan Kealy. Subs: Stephen Callan for G Matthews, Damien Torris for J King, Simon Clare for A Dowd, Sean Callaghan for A Kealy, Jimmy Kearney for B McEvoy.


WESTERNS are hitting form at the right time as the head into the championship on the back of another impressive win, this time at home to Dowdallshill on Thursday night.

A sixth successive win was never really in doubt as the Westerns opened the scoring with an Aidan McGarrell goal inside ten seconds. By the half time whistle, the home side had a healthy 1-9 to 0-1 lead with Ciaran Sheridan providing the only response for the Hill.

The visitors raised their game at the start of the second as they matched two Tommy Durning points, but the Reaghstown side quickly regained control of proceedings.

Some well taken points and further goals from Durnin and Ciaran Scriven saw the hosts run out very comfortable winners against a side who finished with 14 men.

WESTERNS: Jonathan Brennan; Andrew Murray, James Ward, Mick Martin; Sean McGuinness, Stephen Boylan, Colin Martin; Trevor Baylon 0-1, Tommy Durnin 1-9; Ciaran Scriven 1-1, Brian Martin 0-1, Seamus Peppard; Ryan Duffy 0-1, Aidan McGarrell 1-0, Ciaran Campbell 0-2. Subs: Conor Kerr for T Baylon, Andrew Kerr 0-1 for C Campbell, Niall Moynagh for B Martin.

DOWDALLSHILL: David Clegg; Colin Agnew, Eamonn Duffy, Vincent Roe; Anton Rogers, Justin Halley, Cathal McShane; Gary Corrigan, Anthony Quinn; Darren Rogers, Ciaran Sheridan 0-3, Donal Sheridan 0-1; Gerry McShane, Paul Gill 0-1, Noel Finnegan. Subs: Dermot Smith for E Duffy, Chris McMahonf or D Sheridan, Sean McCabe for A Rogers, Ronan Costello for G Corrigan.



ST NICHOLAS overcame a half time deficit to record their second league win of the season in Jimmy Pentony park on Sunday afternoon.

Playing into a slight breeze in the first half the Nicks started well with a pointed free from Richie campbell and a goal from Barry Woods. The visitors fought back with a point from play and three frees to make it all square midway through the half.

The Kevins then went ahead with a Conor McCullough goal from a long ball in that deceived the Nicks defence with keeper Alan Sweeney unlucky not to keep it out.

That score saw the visitors go in to the break leading by 1-6 to 1-4.

Campbell wasnt missing much as he slotted another two, one free and one from play to bring the sides level five minutes into the second half. Further points from the impressive Gary Shevlin and Kierans gave the Nicks some breathing room and then the two combined to put Kierans in on goal which he slotted home easily.

The visitors never gave up and with a few frees and a late goal from Matthew Boylan made it a nervous last five for the home team, but they held on for a deserved victory.

ST NICHOLAS: Alan Sweeney; Shane Finnegan, Ciaran Smith, Tadhg Gill; Richie Campbell 0-5, Darren Thornton, Declan Heeney; Craig Donnelly, Johnny Carter; Keith Cluskey, Adrian Gates, Barry Woods 1-0; Stephan Hodgins 0-2, Gary Shevlin 0-1, Roy Kierans 1-3. Subs; Eddie Carr for Smith, Brian Pentony for Gates, Paddy O'Boyle 0-1 for Carr.

ST KEVINS: Paul Brennan; Ian Wogan, Aidan Carter, Patrick Duff; Andrew Campbell, Liam Boylan, Paudie Boylan; Gareth Boylan, Sean Crosbie 0-4; Aidan Craven 0-1, Sean Callan 0-1, David Smith 0-1; Conor McCullough 1-0, Mark Boylan 0-3, Matthew Boylan 1-1. Subs: Mark McGahon for A Carter, Michael Grogan for P Boylan, Andrew Hynes for A Campbell.



STABANNON Parnells kept their hopes of a semi final spot alive with a comprehensive win against an under strength Wolfe Tones outfit on Sunday afternoon in perfect conditions in Stabannon.

Stabannon got off to good start and went into half time leading 2-6 to 1-2 thanks to goals from Colm Giggins and Sean Byrne.

The Wolfe Tones came out strong at the beginning of the second half and scored the first point and this was soon followed by a well-taken penalty to leave the game in the balance with 20 minutes remaining.

However Stabannon finished the stronger of the two teams and further goals from Giggins, Byrne and Niall Cluskey left a flattering score line at the full time whistle.

Best for Stabannon were Niall Cluskey and brothers Colm and Aonghus Giggins.

STABANNON: Anthony Briscoe, Wayne Lynch, Padraig Lynch, Alan Lynch, Peter Lynch, Thomas Campbell, Ken Lynch, Niall Cluskey, Colm Giggins, Sean Byrne, Aonghus Giggins, Sean Halpenny, James Lynch, Anthony Byrne, Thomas McBride. Subs: Shane Sweeney, Ciaran Shevlin, Conor Fanning, Dean Lynch, Niall Fanning.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links